• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Trade 1986 CR250 top end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
Reaction score
Hay guys, went digging through my mini storage yesterday and found the top end from one of my old bikes. The bike had a rock go right up through the bottom of the case so I wrote it off as a parts bike. All I got left is this top end. IMO this was honda's best year for the CR. 84-85 had major reliability issues (anyone who has owned one will know what I'm talking about :D) in 86 the honda's got something right with the porting or the power port function cause I find the 86-87 had massive torque like a 4 stroke but still did high rpm well. After that they just turned into a bunch of oven timers :laugh:. I've owned probably close to 15 bikes since this one and still haven't found one I liked more. Not sure if there is any interest here but looking to trade for 385/390 stuff. Might even be down for a sale. Will need some work on the lower parts of the cylinder sleeve as it sat on a metal shelf for years. Seems the metal shelf rusted up the cylinder wall somehow cause I don't think the rust is from the cylinder itself. Came off a running bike. Piston is usable and would need a set of rings. Bored 1.65mm over. She'll be hit'n ebay if I can't make a deal here.

5cd7d8ccd00e7f9ffd7744186fb4a711.jpg

4b20b4e72de3b9d8627a2dff59f0dd68.jpg

4b0985a1774c1e740668e6b172956516.jpg

07b778c3907426bfc134826e809c3da6.jpg

3d34014df057db46cb3daf613e4b1ddd.jpg

e9f9766ca981e99f75dff6a83bbbda36.jpg

Holly crap I remember those !!! where was that 20 years ago when I needed one . Ahhh yes I remember it well my first porting fail [emoji15]crap now I feel old I'm going to bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that would be a project. A 250cc water cooled chainsaw, with a power band. Might be a little heavy tho. just a thought.

I'm gonna get to cleaning up the lower parts of the cylinder when I have time. Should clean up good.

86 was the first year for nikasil cylinder. I also had an 88 RM 250 that the previous owner installed steel sleeve in. The exhaust bridge cracks easy on the steel unless it's releaved and lube holes drilled in piston to lubricate it. if you could compare stock new cylinder to an aftermarket sleeved one you wouldn't want it! Porting is chocked up big time on those steel liners unless you port it after

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

these cylinders came sleeved from the factory guy. i don't know what your talking about cause the only bikes i know of with nikisil plated cylinders are the KTM's. maybe some of the way newer jap bikes have a plated cylinder cause i haven't worked on a ton of them. my 2001 kx250 had a sleeved cylinder and it was all original.

these cylinders came sleeved from the factory guy. i don't know what your talking about cause the only bikes i know of with nikisil plated cylinders are the KTM's. maybe some of the way newer jap bikes have a plated cylinder cause i haven't worked on a ton of them. my 2001 kx250 had a sleeved cylinder and it was all original.

All manufactures switched to plated cylinders on the 250mx bikes by the mid 80s

86 was the first year for the plated cr250 cylinder
87 for the rm250
88 for the yz250
The kx250 had the electrofusion plated bore in 1978

All manufactures switched to plated cylinders on the 250mx bikes by the mid 80s

86 was the first year for the plated cr250 cylinder
87 for the rm250
88 for the yz250
The kx250 had the electrofusion plated bore in 1978

nifty, this CR was used when i got it but my buddy shawn who i got it from and who owned it since new said when he had it bored they literally just bored the sleeve that was in it when new. is it a possibility that the very early 86 CR's were still sleeved? my 2001 kx250 did have a sleeved bore and i got it from my uncle sheldon who also says the bike was original when i got it. did they electrofusion plate a sleeve perhaps? it definitely did have a sleeve as i had it bored minimally over to freshen up the top end. if it was a plated sleeve i had bored i'm mad at myself :mad:. i'm more of a saw guy then a bike guy even though i have owned a huge amount of bikes. either way, i can say for a fact that the bike this top end came off of was one hell of a runner :rock:. it's actually the only 2smoker i've been happy with. i hated the kx as why would anyone want to go 50km/h in 1st gear. i'm more of a trail rider then a track rider. i like 4 strokes when it comes to anything other then OPE.

The actual engine part of the case may have been salvageable but that must have been 10 years ago or more that I threw those out :(

Back