1988 Bucket Truck for New Company

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksmith2610

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi just wanted everyone’s take on a potential forestry truck with dump box. It’s a 1988 f700 has 56 foot reach bucket and arborist dump box. Truck is in really good shape and condition. I’m fortunate that I have a good job with flexible hours and starting my tree business part time until work flow picks up to full time. Is this age of truck and man lift to old? I know it comes down to how much repairs and ongoing maintenance it will require but for a start up in this economy seems like a viable option. Anyone have a take on this that could offer some advice maybe tried it or is currently. The lift would be a great upgrade for tree trimming and pruning as well as front yard removals.

Hi just wanted everyone’s take on a potential forestry truck with dump box. It’s a 1988 f700 has 56 foot reach bucket and arborist dump box. Truck is in really good shape and condition. I’m fortunate that I have a good job with flexible hours and starting my tree business part time until work flow picks up to full time. Is this age of truck and man lift to old? I know it comes down to how much repairs and ongoing maintenance it will require but for a start up in this economy seems like a viable option. Anyone have a take on this that could offer some advice maybe tried it or is currently. The lift would be a great upgrade for tree trimming and pruning as well as front yard removals.
Just make sure the aerial lift part is sound. What make is the lift?

Well if it works properly and all it must be worth it I mean lately I noticed stuff is hard to get and expensive. Any pics? It prob will sell fast.
Ya anything newer in our area is starting at 50,000 +. Has low Kms and 7.8 diesel motor. Just worry a bit if prone to getting roadside inspections often or if you keep it in good condition and take pride in it not a problem.

Maintenance is everything. Which is not news here. Most of my equipment is older. My dump truck is an 84 GMC c30. I had 7k of 3/4” stone on it last month. Don’t have heavy loads often but I don’t worry about it when I do. All new rear springs and brake lines, new HD lower control arms and coils (for the 6.2 Diesel engine which was heavier mine has a built small block) frame is thicker, wider and reinforced (all c&c trucks were likely still the case) and I added more. We had an incident with a bucket truck doing limb removal for a state road outside campus. The crew had done a great job. Had an newer F550 with a bucket and the same truck with a chipper. Both trucks in great shape. Guy had gone up 30’, about to go over the line and he dropped like a stone. Hydro line failed and the boom lost pressure. Thank god he didn’t cross over that line. He was shaken up but okay. Point is old or new they just missed it. And it happens. 70BE1902-42DE-41DD-AEB8-52B118DEE27A.jpeg0261D937-DD66-4205-988D-E8A141436921.jpeg3009B568-B0A4-44F0-ABEF-C9C321A56D2F.jpeg

Maintenance is everything. Which is not news here. Most of my equipment is older. My dump truck is an 84 GMC c30. I had 7k of 3/4” stone on it last month. Don’t have heavy loads often but I don’t worry about it when I do. All new rear springs and brake lines, new HD lower control arms and coils (for the 6.2 Diesel engine which was heavier mine has a built small block) frame is thicker, wider and reinforced (all c&c trucks were likely still the case) and I added more. We had an incident with a bucket truck doing limb removal for a state road outside campus. The crew had done a great job. Had an newer F550 with a bucket and the same truck with a chipper. Both trucks in great shape. Guy had gone up 30’, about to go over the line and he dropped like a stone. Hydro line failed and the boom lost pressure. Thank god he didn’t cross over that line. He was shaken up but okay. Point is old or new they just missed it. And it happens. View attachment 992508View attachment 992509View attachment 992510
Thank you so much for the great info and pics

get the full truck inspected. boom, dump hoist, brakes. the whole 9 yards, and fix any hazards then go out and make some money with it!

Maintenance is everything. Which is not news here. Most of my equipment is older. My dump truck is an 84 GMC c30. I had 7k of 3/4” stone on it last month. Don’t have heavy loads often but I don’t worry about it when I do. All new rear springs and brake lines, new HD lower control arms and coils (for the 6.2 Diesel engine which was heavier mine has a built small block) frame is thicker, wider and reinforced (all c&c trucks were likely still the case) and I added more. We had an incident with a bucket truck doing limb removal for a state road outside campus. The crew had done a great job. Had an newer F550 with a bucket and the same truck with a chipper. Both trucks in great shape. Guy had gone up 30’, about to go over the line and he dropped like a stone. Hydro line failed and the boom lost pressure. Thank god he didn’t cross over that line. He was shaken up but okay. Point is old or new they just missed it. And it happens. View attachment 992508View attachment 992509View attachment 992510
i love your truck man

Listed for $20,000
Sorry man but I don't think I'd spend 20k on a truck that has a 34 year old boom. My understanding is that older booms cost more to fix because they raise the price of parts because the manufacturers want to discourage you from using booms that are older than 25 years. I read somewhere that they would prefer boom be taken out of service and cut up after 25 years. I know a bunch of guys are still using them but I'd just take that into consideration before agreeing to pay that much. You can probably call Altec and ask what (if anything) has been purchased from them to repair/maintain it over the years. I've never asked them that myself but I know they keep track of everything we order and which unit it was ordered for. And you could ask if I am right about the 25 year thing. Maybe I'm wrong but I know I've read that somewhere.

That said, I have used booms from that era when they were new and one nice thing is that many of them were made to be relatively simple.

Sorry man but I don't think I'd spend 20k on a truck that has a 34 year old boom. My understanding is that older booms cost more to fix because they raise the price of parts because the manufacturers want to discourage you from using booms that are older than 25 years. I read somewhere that they would prefer boom be taken out of service and cut up after 25 years. I know a bunch of guys are still using them but I'd just take that into consideration before agreeing to pay that much. You can probably call Altec and ask what (if anything) has been purchased from them to repair/maintain it over the years. I've never asked them that myself but I know they keep track of everything we order and which unit it was ordered for. And you could ask if I am right about the 25 year thing. Maybe I'm wrong but I know I've read that somewhere.

That said, I have used booms from that era when they were new and one nice thing is that many of them were made to be relatively simple.

I think that’s right. My LR3 was a 97 and I remember hearing that at 25 years (right about now) you would get a letter saying you were supposed to cut it up. Pretty sure they said you can keep using it but I doubt they would sell parts and you could probably be screwed if something happened. At least that’s the way I remember it. Funny how quickly you can forget the details on stuff like that once you take the plate off and hand over the title lol.

I have a 89 f800 7.8 diesel. Bucket finally getting some leaks where I either have to scrap the boom and put a different body on or re line whole thing:( it's a great truck drives like a car super reliable. It may get a hook lift. Mine has heavy duty two bucket winch power line boom. Which I like honestly it Flys like a new boom fiberglass so thick unlike tree boom it doesn't flex. Getting cmc 83 in 2mo

Latest posts

Back