1st and 2nd degree burns hurt a little...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had alot of 1st degree, a few 2nd degree, and a handful of small isilated 3rd degree burns (kart pipes).

burns are ugly nasty things, and even when they are healing, they just look gross. everyone around me screams go to a burn clinic, its going to scar, etc...

It's a moderate to severe burn, yes. But a burn clinic is going to do 3 things.

1. Clean it with an anti-bacterial soap.

2. Put silvadene/silver nitrate on it.

3. Break it off in my butt when I get the bill.

The layer of toughened skin serves as a barrier for infection. As long as that layer remain at least mostly intact, the wound should have a huge headstart towards healing. Will there be some scarring, probably...its going to have a darker tone to it for a while at least, probably a year or more..but its going to be much less than if Id been in the heat for an instant longer, and the skin had charred off and let the fire get to the all important dermis.

This topic sucks without pics!!!!!

sizzlin'steak.jpg

Thats about right...

Skip the dry chemical extinguishers. They make alot of corrosion anyway. Halon or CO2.

Glad you're ok though. Go see a doc now.

I'd recommend the CO2. Skin burns continue progressing even after the fire is put out, so cooling the skin immediatly will reduce the amount of injury. Cold water or ice works well, too.

Also, as an aside, the bigger bottles of CO2 will deliver a static charge to the operator...

One more thing...don't use a vacuum cleaner on dry chemicals. The dust will pass through the filter and burn up the motor. Sweep it up.

Still got it, I got a hot lead (no pun intended) on a huge stash of CS520's, 670's, and 8000's that are 0 hours new, but all were straight gasses after Ike. Rep has all of em, I may be getting in on that (alot), hopefully. He said there is at least a couple truck beds full, probably more, they are still trickling in from around the region. Same story every time..."It was workign fine, then locked up". Rep had the dealers confirm a straight gas stick, gave the customer a new one, and had the old one shipped to him...Who says ECHO isnt there for people in a time of crisis?

Stihl wasnt doing that after Ivan.

Just when I was going to say something nice to you, there is something bad about Stihl as usual

Seeing as how you are not a dealer I don't think you know what Stihl does. All hearsay on your part.

Just when I was going to say something nice to you, there is something bad about Stihl as usual

Seeing as how you are not a dealer I don't think you know what Stihl does. All hearsay on your part.

Hearsay...call it what you want.

When people who own stihl equipment and take it to a STIHL dealer after a major hurricane moves through, and they refuse to work on it because it was more than like 3 years old, and/or was not bought from that dealer...And you hear the exact same story from dozens upon dozens of people for weeks after the storm...You start to kinda wonder if maybe it might be a little true.

Add to that that the shop I work at now took in loads of new seized stihls that were easily unused except for having straight gas in them, and thr Stihl dealer told them to pound sand...However the ECHO dealer gave these people a handsome trade in on the Stihl, and sold them a new properly setup ECHO.

You gain alot of customers that way, if you are on the right side of things.

People arent perfect, they make mistakes, apparently ECHO felt like it was better to take a hit on these saws, than to have bad publicity.

Skip the dry chemical extinguishers. They make alot of corrosion anyway. Halon or CO2.

Glad you're ok though. Go see a doc now.

in agree +1
on certain types of fires the dry chemical extinguishers can cause more harm than good co2 can be used on all types

halon better have a scba in place before using halon for it removes all the oxygen in the room where the halon is being used

red im glad you are ok

definition for scba in case you are wondering what it is = Self Contained Breathing apperatos

Last edited:
I'd recommend the CO2. Skin burns continue progressing even after the fire is put out, so cooling the skin immediatly will reduce the amount of injury. Cold water or ice works well, too.

Be careful with CO2 as that can burn you just as badly as a high temperature

The latest in first aid recommends just plain iced water and leave the burn in the iced water till you can't stand it any longer, take it out and put it under tap water for 30 seconds and then back in again into the iced for as long as you can stand it. Do this for as long at least 30 minutes or longer. Long term it beats any oil or balm or cream especially for putting out the pain. Most people stop this water treatment too early.

You can still end up with a considerable burn scar but it does not feel anywhere near as bad as it looks. I have no idea how it works but I disbelievingly tried it and it works.

Red, you must have a pair of 7 pounders hangin. Burns are the worst, I took a few layers of skin off a steam hose. OUCH. If I stub my toe, I am screaming for pain killers!

Glad you are OK. Next time, remember one of the "chainsaw rules", clear your work area of hazards.

Oh yea, everybody.....watch those cans of flammables around batteries! I had a fool working for me set a can of starting fluid on top of a 12 volt Truck battery! Can't believe he is still alive.

The extinguisher read right in the middle of the Green range "Fully charged" when I pulled it off the wall. However when I clicked the trigger, the needle went to "discharged".

So it had leaked down over 20 years, and the needle was stuck. It's on my front burner to do list, next one will be larger, much larger, and it will work too.

Fire extinguisher maint..... every 6 months flip it over handle side down and tap the bottom with a hammer and you will feel the powder drop to the bottom(handle end now facing down) this re fluffs the powder. Yes the cheep throw away extinguishers will leak down over time and the needle always sticks in the full positon. Also if used one time discard it and get a new one as the powder inside will corrode the valve and it will not work next time. Or replace with a co 2 extinguisher no mess and refillable also works well to chill a 6 pack for rapid drinking.

Rob
20 yr firefighter

ps glad your ok

know what burnt skin is like

I feel for anyone who has ever burnt their skin i have done it bad. a few years back i was a tech at a midas muffler and brake when a wynns power flush machine failed on me. long story short the resulting blast of anitfreeze burnt through multiple layers of my skin on the left fore arm and 3 of my fingers. took along time to heal and the painkillers never did cut it.lol extinguishers and a water hydrant are very much a part of my barn shop at home nowdays.

Weird burn story: This is about as improbable as can be............
I had removed a worn out dishwasher, and had bare wires somehow exposed, I think because was running the disposer off the same circuit or something like that. Stuff accumulates in empty spaces, and the stuff in this space included a window squeegee and a can of spray starch, along with some other items. Well, I was getting ready to wash some windows, and I reached down to get the squeegee. I knocked the can into the electrical box with the wires sticking out of it, and wouldn't you know it, the two wires shorted against the can, the arc burned two little holes in the can, and guess what rushed out the holes? Flammable propellant shot up into my face so quickly, I barely got my eyes closed. Second degree on my face and forehead. Ouch. For several days I hung in there with aloe gel, and then I went to see the chiropractor, he said it was getting infected, and recounted how a doctor had burned her face, gotten infected, and it went to her brain, and she died in her sleep. So, I went right to the doc, got some antibiotics and Silvadene ointment, and it started healing, no scars. Scary, though it has healed with no scarring. Silver sulfathiozine ointment is great stuff. Hope your burns heal quickly!

I am now much more careful about wires and such.......:monkey:

Well Im good to go...

No scarring, the pigment is filling in nicely on both arms, the color is nearly the same, there are dark spots at the base of the hair follicles, but it's getting barely noticeable.

All in all, not a terrible experience, just alot of worry.

Been back at work for over 2 weeks now, that helped more than anything!:clap:

Well Im good to go...

No scarring, the pigment is filling in nicely on both arms, the color is nearly the same, there are dark spots at the base of the hair follicles, but it's getting barely noticeable.

All in all, not a terrible experience, just alot of worry.

Been back at work for over 2 weeks now, that helped more than anything!:clap:

Glad you are doing better :cheers:

I still hate echo though

Back