1st attemp at milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiTony

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have just started milling my 1st log with a homemade CSM.Running an 064 I bought new in 1990,with a 36" bar,and a chain I modified for milling.(Two topless scribers,two full cutters,filed @ 10*) All went pretty well,but I am a little concerned about the auxilliary oiler.
Is there some way to get the oil into the drive links at the nose sprocket?I have got mine just dripping onto the chain,but think there must be a better way.Maybe drilling the nose somewhere?But how to connect a hose to it ?
Have put a few photos on,so please critique them,as this is a great way to learn.

Nice work Tony!

Love the mill, it looks nice a solid. and the scenery - well that is pretty nice too!

Some suggestions.
Oiler:
1) Take a 3/8 or 5/16" bolt and drill a vertical hole down the long axis of the bolt all the way down from the tip, to end level with but not through the head.
2) Level with the head, drill a horizontal hole in the side of the bolt to meet the inner hole. (call this horizontal hole - hole B)
3) Now drill a hole to fit the bolt in the bar near the bar nose within a few 1/16" of the chain groove. Others can comment on the ideal placement .
4) Now drill another small hole from the chain groove through to the bolt hole B
5) Add a nut to hold the bolt onto the bar and attach oil tube to the bolt.

See http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=499154&postcount=120 for a sketch of this arracngement.

Another tip would be to remove the dogs so that you can get an inch or two more out of the bar. If your chain catcher attaches to one of the dogs you might have to make a new one that attaches to a CS Dog hole. I haven't done this on my CS but plan to do so.

Thanks heaps for that Bob.
That idea sounds (and looks )pretty good to me.Now to get a drill bit through the bar.Hmmmmm.This will be interesting!

RE: Drilling the bar. I haven't done this myself but I believe it can be done using a CT tipped masonry bit. The tip needs to be sharpened more than is needed for masonry using something like a diamond impregnated file.

Kiwi, nice home made mill... you are off to a great start. btw... I run a 395 on a 36" bar in a 36" mill and as long as I have that oiler on that Husky turned up as high as it goes, I have not needed an aux oiler in any of the hardwoods or softwoods I mill. In fact, my guard around the tip of the bar is full of oil/sawdust and the chain doesn't get too dry. Some saws are known to be a little skimpy on the oiler even turned up max though. Also some kinds of wood need more oil when milling I have been told. I havn't run into that yet.

Thanks heaps for that Bob.
That idea sounds (and looks )pretty good to me.Now to get a drill bit through the bar.Hmmmmm.This will be interesting!

I had good luck using a cobalt bit.Made quick work of what everyone assured me would be a laborious task.

Many thanks for the feedback.

Woodchop--I hear what you are saying about the Husky,and I think my older Stihl has the environmentally unfriendly "heavy" oiler on it.Set at max, it uses 1 tank of oil per tank of gas.Maybe I am overly concerned.

Husky 137--Cobalt drill bit-Sounds good to me.But,as they say, oil is cheaper than bar & chain.

The scene in the background looks unreal. I would like to go to New Zealand someday. Looks like beautiful country. I imagine that is what the air looked like in Medieval Europe. How do you guys escape smog down there?

Woodchop--I hear what you are saying about the Husky,and I think my older Stihl has the environmentally unfriendly "heavy" oiler on it.Set at max, it uses 1 tank of oil per tank of gas.Maybe I am overly concerned.

Well... that's the whole idea, to get as much oil on that bar and chain as you can. Actually better stated... to get as much oil on that bar and chain as it needs to stay lubricated and cool. If your older Stihl puts out that much oil, thats the one you might want to use and then you don't need to go through the hassle of drilling into your bar and setting up an aux oiler.

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. If you're worried about putting that much oil out into the environment, I'm not sure an aux oiler is going to put any less out there. Probably more depending on how you set it up.

RE: Drilling the bar. I haven't done this myself but I believe it can be done using a CT tipped masonry bit. The tip needs to be sharpened more than is needed for masonry using something like a diamond impregnated file.

Yes.. and use it in a drill press - slow, lots of lube and watch the pressure...

How difficult it will be depends on the bar. I found a Stihl ES to be tough.. but it got though.

I use special tipped drills for drilling my bars, but as someone else mentioned you can use a masonary bit if your stuck.

You need to lower the angle of the cutting edges, to about 20 degrees, use a green carbon steel sharpening stone on your grinder for doing this.

Once you start cutting do not stop as the metal work hardens as it get hotter
if you have any way of adding cooling fluid, the type that is used on a metal lathe, then this will help to keep things cool.

Cuting speed needs to be fast enough so the metal doesn't get too hot whilst drilling, too hot and the brazing will melt and the tips will fall out.

Always drill a pilot hole half the size of the final hole, no smaller or the tips will not be able to start cuttingm and no bigger or the tips of the will be damaged, chipped and its end ex for the bit.

Last edited:
The scene in the background looks unreal. I would like to go to New Zealand someday. Looks like beautiful country. I imagine that is what the air looked like in Medieval Europe. How do you guys escape smog down there?

Were pretty much in the middle of nowhere,nearest neighbour is Aussie,and they are a couple of hours away on a 747.

Smog?-We do have some -particularly in winter in some metropolitan areas.Not too bad by all accounts-We are a nation of about 5 million people(i think),so overcrowding is not a major problem- especially for those who wish to live outside of the towns & cities etc.

The country does have an abundance of beautiful scenery,but one doesn't always appreciate it.

Well... that's the whole idea, to get as much oil on that bar and chain as you can. Actually better stated... to get as much oil on that bar and chain as it needs to stay lubricated and cool. If your older Stihl puts out that much oil, thats the one you might want to use and then you don't need to go through the hassle of drilling into your bar and setting up an aux oiler.

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. If you're worried about putting that much oil out into the environment, I'm not sure an aux oiler is going to put any less out there. Probably more depending on how you set it up.

Woodshop.
After reading many other posts,it looks as if the original oiler will supply sufficient volume.
And yes,adding an aux oiler will surely put more oil out there.

Lakeside53 -- Congrats on your HUUUUUUUGGGE number of posts! , BC_Logger, Railomatic

Thanks a lot for the valuable info.I can purchase Cobalt bits O.K. and have access to a good workshop.Excellent advice from all of you and really good stuff found with the "Search" facility. Cheers!

Last edited:
Kiwi, ever see any Hobbits there abouts? :popcorn: New Zealand is on my list of places to visit as soon as the lottery hits.

Ian

Kiwi, ever see any Hobbits there abouts? :popcorn: New Zealand is on my list of places to visit as soon as the lottery hits.

Ian

NOPE-They are few and far between,but parts of the movies were filmed about an hour away from here,at a place called Matamata.

The lottery win would be great,but remember the exchange rate is in your favour (something like $NZ 1.00 = $US 0.74) as we speak.

NOPE-They are few and far between,but parts of the movies were filmed about an hour away from here,at a place called Matamata.

The lottery win would be great,but remember the exchange rate is in your favour (something like $NZ 1.00 = $US 0.74) as we speak.

I'm pretty consistent at picking the numbers... the last few tickets I bought had exactly -0- correct ones. There should be a prize for that too IMO.

Ian

Were pretty much in the middle of nowhere,nearest neighbour is Aussie,and they are a couple of hours away on a 747.

Smog?-We do have some -particularly in winter in some metropolitan areas.Not too bad by all accounts-We are a nation of about 5 million people(i think),so overcrowding is not a major problem- especially for those who wish to live outside of the towns & cities etc.

The country does have an abundance of beautiful scenery,but one doesn't always appreciate it.

Hell, Kiwi, we got more than double that in my town. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KiwiTony said:

I know exactly what you mean. I lived on the island of Okinawa for 3 years and when you first get there you are stunned by the beauty of the rugged coastline, but a short year later and you hardly notice them at all.

Ian

Back