1'st chain that got ruined on my mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just minding my own bizz,milling a 34" white pine and all of the sudden,WHAM and the chain stopped.WTF, I check it out and the tip of the bar caught a bolt in the clamp when the clamp apparently turned. Probably my fault as I made the clamp set up.Took two teeth off,bent at least four and rounded over about 10 cutters.Man was I pissed ! I have a lot of milling that has to be done ASAP,oh well,two new chains will be here today but I have to regrind them first,takes me about 1-2 hours each so I know what I'll be doing all afternoon.
My 084 is going to the shop and the good ole 395 has been kicking butt. I will get this 084 working right one way or the other!:(
Mark

carvinmark said:
...the tip of the bar caught a bolt in the clamp when the clamp apparently turned. Mark
Now you have me curious, what does this clamp that "turned" look like... did it get loose and rotate into the path of your chain?
I admit I'm too lazy to spend couple hours per chain to regrind. I just bought a 100ft reel or Bailey's ripping chain and tried out my cutter/spinner last night for the first time... worked great, make my own now loops now in a few minutes.

Hey Mark, I hear your 084 is giving to trouble. I have an 025 Ill trade ya for the 084!!

Im supposed to check out that 084 before I bring it back. Steve a.k.a. Freakinstang is supposed to be coming, Im sure he can chime in onto why its not running right.

carvinmark said:
Took two teeth off,bent at least four and rounded over about 10 cutters.Man was I pissed ! I have a lot of milling that has to be done ASAP,oh well,two new chains will be here today but I have to regrind them first,takes me about 1-2 hours each so I know what I'll be doing all afternoon.
Mark

Why can't you just break the chain (grind off the rivet heads if you haven't got a breaker) and rejoin in the same number of links from that box of chain left over from the last loop you had made up, or worst case another shorter chain (using the brand new joining links that come with the roll) should take around 10min, then file/grind those new teeth down to the same length and profile as the rest of the chain (shouldn't take long depending how old the original chain was). The whole operation should have you milling again in under an hour. We live on an island miles from anywhere. Fixing chains (or having lots) is a necessity.

poleframer said:
I did that. I decided to drill the bar tip and bolt thru instead of clamping it.
I have my tip drilled with a bolt and nut thru it and a large clamp that pinches the bolt.
Mark

woodshop said:
Now you have me curious, what does this clamp that "turned" look like... did it get loose and rotate into the path of your chain?
I admit I'm too lazy to spend couple hours per chain to regrind. I just bought a 100ft reel or Bailey's ripping chain and tried out my cutter/spinner last night for the first time... worked great, make my own now loops now in a few minutes.
I will post a picture of my clamp when I get a chance to take some.My height adjusting rail on the rear came loose and must have put a bind on the bar and it let the clamp turn into the chain.I got it going and cut up 6 more logs with no problems.
I really enjoy grinding my chains and I find time during work to do it.

stingray bay said:
Why can't you just break the chain (grind off the rivet heads if you haven't got a breaker) and rejoin in the same number of links from that box of chain left over from the last loop you had made up, or worst case another shorter chain (using the brand new joining links that come with the roll) should take around 10min, then file/grind those new teeth down to the same length and profile as the rest of the chain (shouldn't take long depending how old the original chain was). The whole operation should have you milling again in under an hour. We live on an island miles from anywhere. Fixing chains (or having lots) is a necessity.
It's 58 guage 404 and the only one I had or I would have done just that.Funny thing was that the chain stretched out a lot,wonder if it is even any good as a donner for parts in the future.

Back