1st House log off the mill....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well i finally got started on the logs for the house(it's been almost a year). Retired in March, built a 30x50 arched steel building w/ an apt in one end & we are settled in now. I found out the hard way that a 14' cedar log is a bear to wrassle onto my trailer, so from now on i will cut them in 10' lenghts. I am using a 20' Woodbug & a 066 w/dual port muffler. I am only slabbing off 3 sides & leaving the outside round. I cut this first "official" house log at 5" tall leaving the width between 6 & 7"s. At 5" thick i figure i will need about 250 10' logs. Before i mill anymore logs i will be cutting some long cedar poles for a pole barn to house the logs for air drying. Only 249 to go..........

RD

Great... thanks for the pics of your setup and what you're doing. I'm about 6 years behind ya. Keep us in pics as you progress, it will be interesting to see how you build your stockpile and then start to build your house.

As for that first piece... I hope you're going to mark that particular "first" piece, and keep track of where in your house it will go. When I built my 20x16 two story garage (read: wood storage shed), I took a sharpie and marked the the very nail of the frame. No particular reason other than... I wanted to, just for shoots and grins to look back on it years later.
first.jpg

WS, how do i load pic's onto the bottom of my thread so you don't have to click on em to see em?
RD

Great to see another Woodbug user. Yes, keep the pictures coming as I'm living vicariously through you (too much snow up here). Can't wait to see all 250! :dizzy:

WS, how do i load pic's onto the bottom of my thread so you don't have to click on em to see em?
RD

The little icon with the yellow background and mountains above the text box will wrap image tags around the URL of wherever you're hosting the image.

[ IMG ]URL[ /IMG ]

:cheers:

Wow.

You have a chore ahead of you. I hope you enjoy it.

I would like to suggest you look at some come-a long winches or even cheap Harbor Freight electric winches. You have power supply right?

And thats only if you aren't in a hurry and are extra manly in your retirement.

My first suggestion was a small ag tractor or Skidder, but not everyone likes gas or diesel and hydraulics, or are equally Maguyver-ish with metal.

Keep us posted.

RD
Many free hosts for your pics available, an easy one is photobucket.com ...open an account (free), then upload your pic to it, then click on the link below the pic in photobucket and paste that into the window that comes up when you click on the pic icon above as nuzzy said.

If you can, it helps to re-size your pic to around 1K x 1K pixels (I use photoshop but lots of apps can do that).

Where ya located in E TN??

My farm is in Hancock County...about 45 minutes North of Morristown..Youve got some big cedars on your place.

Thanks, i will try a pic on screen. Yes i have a good stand of cedars, i just hope alot of them are not hollow. They are all up on the sides of my ridges. I have a 30 horse tractor, but off the logging trails it ain't much help. My plan is using the 4-wheeler & a winch to get the ones up off the sides of the ridges and alot of muscle(need to work off the Miller anyway).

Testing............testing.......if this comes up, this is what my ridges look like, a wee bit steep.

RD

motorseven

Last edited:
Hmmm, i tried both the IMG & the URL from my pic in photobucket....neither are working. I'm not sure what i am doing wrong

Here is the reg pic:

If you are uploading them to Arboristsite, then I see no need to worry about photobucket. Just wrap the IMG tags around the AS url.

[LLA]http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63013&d=1200586190[/LLA]

I changed the IMG to LLA so that you could see it.

attachment.php

Also, If you try and quote my post then you can see what it looks like.

Last edited:
Motor7,
Cool stuff! Is the WB really as easy as LeClere makes it look in the video?

Nice talking to you Rick

Its a small world..meeting someone on the forum less than ten miles away. I will def stop by the next time I am over and look your mill over. Your valley is very pretty by the way and I have always admired the bottom land along the creek.

Keep us posted with pictures on your progess.

here is the link to machine builders ..

www.machinebuilders.net

Im sure you and others on the forum will like it....Mike

Land Ark wood finish

Rick ,

here aome info on the finish we talked about.

Land Ark Wood Finish
Mike and Nita Baugh
213 Townes Road
North Augusta, SC 29860
(803) 279-4116; fax (803) 278-6996
[email protected]
Mike and Nita Baugh make Land Ark Wood Finish, an all-natural penetrating oil finish specifically formulated for timbers and logs. Land Ark Wood Finish contains no driers of any kind, no petroleum distillates, nor any chemical additives. It is bio-friendly to both the environment and user, even those with chemical sensitivities; and it even smells good!

You can google Land Ark for more info. I have used this product and it is very good

RB, yes, milling is slow & smelly & if the wind is up in the wrong direction you get a face full of sawdust(they din't show that in the video). But all in all i think they represented it well in the video. It's too bad that they went out of business. The hardest part by far is getting the logs out of the woods. Once on the mill it takes be about 10-15 min to slab off the 3 sides for a house log. If i pick on shorter 10' cants, i am guessing around 10 min. The most important thing is filing the chain often & to their specs. It looks like once a day or about every 3-4 logs for sharpening. Once oi get a load down off the hil, i will start with a sharp chain & see how many i can do before it gets dull. I'll let y'all know.

Damemon, what's a LLA? I wish i could just drag & drop a pic here.... Forgive my un-puter-savy.

Mike, thanks for the info, talk to ya soon.

RD

Last edited:
Woodbug out of business?

It's too bad that they went out of business.

Out of business? :censored:
THAT explains why they don't answer e-mail. I guess it wasn't a big seller. They still have a web site up. Welding and metal work are no problem for me so I am gonna try my hand at building one but am getting my feet wet with an Alaskan in the mean time.
The largest logs on our property are smaller than 24 inches so a Woodbug would be a nice mill for me.

Gord, i'm just assuming, since i have sent them several em's with no response over the span of a year. The one i bought(used) was damaged from an oak tree falling on it(ironic revenge?) & i had to replace the entire 10'top section from the ground up. It was no big deal, just 1/8 angle & square tube. I have plans to weld up a 20' section for doing my rafters(when the time comes). For me the plate that holds the dimension stop is the only thing i will have to get a shop to do. it's got a bunch of 1/2 notches that the stop fits into. Or i can come up with my own stop set up. Either way a 20' section willl run between $2 & 300, way cheaper than what they were selling them for & i can't imagine the shipping fro BC to the US. If it is going to be a stationary mill, it could be made heavier and larger to handle bigger logs.
RD

Thanks for the reply - MotorSeven

Gord, i'm just assuming, since i have sent them several em's with no response over the span of a year. The one i bought(used) was damaged from an oak tree falling on it(ironic revenge?) & i had to replace the entire 10'top section from the ground up. It was no big deal, just 1/8 angle & square tube. I have plans to weld up a 20' section for doing my rafters(when the time comes). For me the plate that holds the dimension stop is the only thing i will have to get a shop to do. it's got a bunch of 1/2 notches that the stop fits into. Or i can come up with my own stop set up. Either way a 20' section willl run between $2 & 300, way cheaper than what they were selling them for & i can't imagine the shipping fro BC to the US. If it is going to be a stationary mill, it could be made heavier and larger to handle bigger logs.
RD

Thanks for the reply. I sent off an e-mail to Woodbug after reading that they were out of business and have received no reply as yet.
Yeah, shipping from BC to Nolalu should be a bank-breaker too. I live about 35 miles south by southwest of Thunder Bay, Ontario in a little community with so few people that we don't even have populations signs LOL.
Got some pics of the Woodbug from the NET and am busy figuring out the details as far as dimensions, wall thickness of the square tubing, gap on the bottom guide, outside dimensions, inside dimensions, dimensions of the stops and dogs, etc. Most pics are not large enough to see properly.

Prolly can't figure out everything by myself as I don't have one to copy so I may have to ask someone (like perhaps you).
1 -- Are the log dogs easily removable or are they fixed and just slide up and down the squared tubing? If they could be carried as a separate package it would lighten up the load.
2 -- Do the stops come off easily to be carried as a separate package?

Prolly is how I would make them anyway.

I have already decided that the stop notches should be contracted out to a machine shop so as to get something accurate that can be relied on. The rest of it should be easy enough for me to make as long as I can draw up a plan with proper dimensions.

Started to think about such things as I just got some trees removed from the property to make a clearing where my new 32' x 32' shop is to be located. Began with GOOGLE to search the NET and wound up on this Forum. Now, I start and finish my day reading and learning as much as I can.
:cheers: Really appreciate seeing what the sponsors have to offer too. :cheers: :clap:

Latest posts

Back