1st run with the new chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After fiddling with a piece or two of broken chain, I ran this rocked out loop as a test. The top plate angle is set at 25 deg. and the cutting angle is at 60. The rakers were taken down to .025". The wire edges raised by the grinder were removed with a diamond laping stone.

I submit the following pictures for your full scrutany. Let me have it!

grind1.jpg

grind2.jpg

sharp!

Now spray it with a cheap oven cleaner,brush it, wash with hose.Wa la it will look like new chain.
Ed

carvinmark said:
Gettin thin aren't ya?? You cross cutting? I usually go at 30 degrees. Well, how did it go?
Mark

This is the 'ol stump chain. It's seen a few rocks and strands of barbed wire. It was at 30 deg. but since the drivers are pretty worn I fugured I'd tune it back a bit. Hadn't tried it yet. I run it after I get done workin'.

314epw said:
Now spray it with a cheap oven cleaner,brush it, wash with hose.Wa la it will look like new chain.
Ed

Now that is a heck of an idea!!!!! Quick and dirty.errr, clean:clap:
Andy

314epw said:
Ed

Anything with Sodium Hydroxide in it works well to clean the pitch off chain. I use cheap drain opener, soak the chain for 5 minutes then rinse.

Tom

Just ran it... works good. It actually cuts slightly faster than new chain I've touched up with a file. I guess it's due to the narrower kerf and better chip clearance.

Latest posts

Back