1st time post needs help with Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emdoller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

New to this site and trees for that matter. I planted a Japanese maple 25yrs ago and three things are happening.

1) dead branches
2) bark is peeling
3) yellow looking growth on branches

I cut the dead branches off but am not sure what else I need to do.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Here's pictures

Ed

IMG_8136.JPG IMG_8137.JPG IMG_8138.JPG IMG_8139.JPG

Most of those symptoms are indicative of root problems. Has anything been happening in that area in the last few years? Digging, filling, over mulching etc. It may have been planted to deep as well.
I would try to find a qualified, certified arborist nearby to do a consultation. Check out http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx to help find a certified arborist near you.

Most of those symptoms are indicative of root problems. Has anything been happening in that area in the last few years? Digging, filling, over mulching etc. It may have been planted to deep as well.
I would try to find a qualified, certified arborist nearby to do a consultation. Check out http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx to help find a certified arborist near you.

Thank you for the reply. Nothing has changed around the tree that I know of other than putting mulch down every few years.

Ed

My first inclination when I see these types of problems on Japanese maples is verticillium, which is a fungus that blocks the xylem cells and doesn't allow the movement of water or nutrients through the tree. What to look for is on a cut branch surface is a black line that would mimic a growth ring. It doesn't have to go all the way around the branch, may only be a portion of it.

If it is verticillium, the only treatment I know of is to prune off the infected branch and prevent the tree from getting stressed (ie drought stressed).

Thanks. I checked the branches I cut off to see if there was a growth ring that looked black and didn't see any. I'll check some more.

Ed

Cutting a semi dead, ie symptomatic, branch section at an sharp angle will show you more surface area of current and past season's wood to inspect

I've seen quite a few Japanese Maples show these symptoms in the last couple of years. Bark cracking and peeling with canopy die back. Every sample I've sent out came back negative for verticillium wilt.
I'd love to hear if someone has some further thoughts.
Also, of the trees I've inspected, none had any activity in the root zone.

Sun scald can be a problem on these trees, not a pathogen, just environmental. Phytopthora comes to mind also on maples. I was talking to another Arborist lately and he recommended Agri-fos highly. Mix it with pentra bark.

Latest posts

Back