2 cycle oil? synthetics exhibit an affinity for moisture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUDGE1162

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok before everyone jumps on my back about read the old posts, I DID!! I read the whole 11 pages of of post of one thread and a bunch more of the smaller thread but I still have a few small questions

From what I read I think I want to try the Motul 8002T, here is my question I have read that the synthetic oils exhibit an affinity for moisture that mineral oils do not and that the synthetics will gum up a motor if left in the cyclinder faster than standard mineral oils, the reason this concerns me is while I run my saw dry at the end of the cutting season (for me is about another month or so) until I start cutting again in the spring it is not uncommon for my saw to sit for a few weeks to a month "wet" during the season.

SO my question is how is Motul 8002T mix at 40:1 at sitting and if not good are Mobil MX2T or Maxima Formula K2 any better. Is there the same issue with seperation synthetic oils VS mineral oils ? I run 93 octane but have no choice it will be some sort of Gasohol (E10 in most cases)

Same question for the bottle of oil, basically how much should I buy? How soon does it go bad or does it go bad in an open (cap on and tighten, but with the factor seal removed) bottle/Jug.

motul 800 and other oils alike are way above what saw needs... and costs you a lot of money when any normal decent 2 stroke oil would do the job...

Some synthetics are unstable in the presence of water, this is true. I have never had a problem with MX2T in this regard or 800T. I have had this issue with Redline and Klotz.
I might also remind everyone that only CERTAIN types of esters cause this problem and not all synthetics are formulated with them.
BTW certain mineral oils have issues with corrosion as well.

HMMMMMMM......... With my sudden spending on new saws, I have opted to change some things. I am going to run 93 octane and I have purchased a quart of Royal Purple 2stroke synthetic to start using in my saws. Not at the 75:1 but at the standard 50:1. Is it more money, yes, will it make them run longer? I don't know, but I have seen enough studies that I can't see how it can hurt anything!!!
Andy

I've gone to the Stihl Ultra full synthetic for the same reason.. and for milling... Additional benefit is that it's fully biodegradable and not harmful to us.. even states on the label "not know to contain any harmfull..." etc etc..

I can't find "Mobil MX2T" but did find "Mobil 1 Racing 2T" are they the same thing?

sawinredneck, Let me know how you do with the Royal Purple 2stroke synthetic, I have used their 4 cycle oil and love it, but have never tried the 2 cycle oil.

hmmm we have a couple old Jonsereds (2095 and 670) that we have been using a synthetic called "Golden Spectro" which was designed for hotrod 2 stroke motorcycles/Atv's with really good luck. We haven't burned up a saw in over 400 cords of firewood. Of course that would be mixing with 93 octane gas. One small bottle does 5 gallons of gas. Pricey but well worth it...not to mention the drive of 35 miles on way to get the oil...:cry:

When I was at my local dealer the other day I noticed that the echo "blend" oil has the higher cert. rating. How does this compare to the mobil synthetics? Thanks,
JC

bwalker said:
BTW I have never had any two cycle mix that i have used drop out of suspension.

Not doubting you, but I have just had that happen. I decided to mix some no-name K-Mart stuff that was left at my house by the previous owner. IT didn't seem to mix well - I really had to shake it. So I left it for a week, then checked it.

All on the bottom of the can!

I think that's going to be my "help the damp burn pile get started" gas!

Never again!

smcowboy1974 said:
MX2T and Mobil 1 2T are the same. The latter is the new red dyed form!

Red dyed Mobil - blasphemy. Klotz is the original red-dyed oil - not to mention the best smelling! I burn Klotz R-50 exclusively, 40:1 in the bike and in the saws. Never had it fall out of suspension, never had issues with it entraining water. I go through gas quick though.

Back