2 stroke oil.... Coming to the end of my 5l of Prosint-2 EVO and can't get it in N.Ireland and looking at HP Ultra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNEC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I run all stihl and a mix of 2 stroke and 4-mix (blowers, strimmers, chainsaws and hedgecutters) and I use 98 RON for minimal ehtanol and for high running of the engines. I am happy to spend to keep them running well. (Maybe not Aspen money....ha)
The Efco Prosint-2 was recommended to me 2 years ago and I have had no bother with any machine to date but as I said I can't get it, so looking at what I can get. Happy to spend money on the HP Ultra if it is actually worth the money. I am UK/Northern Ireland so bear that in mind when suggesting. For example I cannot buy Echo Red Armour etc.

I run all stihl and a mix of 2 stroke and 4-mix (blowers, strimmers, chainsaws and hedgecutters) and I use 98 RON for minimal ehtanol and for high running of the engines. I am happy to spend to keep them running well. (Maybe not Aspen money....ha)
The Efco Prosint-2 was recommended to me 2 years ago and I have had no bother with any machine to date but as I said I can't get it, so looking at what I can get. Happy to spend money on the HP Ultra if it is actually worth the money. I am UK/Northern Ireland so bear that in mind when suggesting. For example I cannot buy Echo Red Armour etc.
If your engines are not under intensive cutting duty then Echo Powerblend
X is a good oil, its semi synthetic, it takes good care of the the bearings when not in use, which is very important too.
Here is some info on oil, there is a chart, if your not sure what is what just ask,
others with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Attachments

• All About 2 Stroke Engine Oils.pdf
    408.9 KB · Views: 8
I think the European version of stihl synthetic is a different blend than whats sold in the usa, the us version has a lot of complaints of excessive carbon buildup problems. Since you have availability issues it might be best to get a flat of quart bottles of what you can find. I wonder if you would have better luck shipping it in from amazon/ebay or the like. The most popular choices over here are VP racing, Red armor, Opti2, Schaffers 9000, Motul (unknown what version is preferred), stihl orange bottle, amsoil.

And Echo Power Blend X:

https://www.gardenmachinerydirect.c.../echo-power-blend-x-2-stroke-oil-1-litre.html
I'm not sure what the difference is between PB X and PB Gold?

I think that Echo and Amsoil oils are better (cleaner) than HP Ultra.

I use Saber at 40:1. When my stock of that runs out I will probably switch to Dominator.
Not sure I would use the Echo given its description says formulated for specific use in Echo machines, probably a selling point and will work in anything obviously but maybe there is an oddity in machine setups.
The Amsoil I see has a lot of mentions online in forums etc and people like it, but at £23 delivered for 1 litre!!!! It is a costly outlay that the US customers don't seem to face and often say it is cheaper than HP Plus. At £68 for 5l HP Ultra that is a lot cheaper, though 5 bottles of Amsoil perhaps same postage as one which narrows it a bit, but ultimately 5l equiv is £19 more getting the Amsoil. Then begs the question that is 50:1 use I am considering. Not sure I'd take the risk on 100:1 which would change the price dynamic a lot if you did and makes the Amsoil cheaper.
I was getting some parts today and got a one fill bottle of HP Ultra to give it a try. Smell seems to be one thing people mention, i'll see if I experience that and see how they machines run....I wouldn't want to buy too many one shots at £2.51 each!! ha.

I think the European version of stihl synthetic is a different blend than whats sold in the usa, the us version has a lot of complaints of excessive carbon buildup problems. Since you have availability issues it might be best to get a flat of quart bottles of what you can find. I wonder if you would have better luck shipping it in from amazon/ebay or the like. The most popular choices over here are VP racing, Red armor, Opti2, Schaffers 9000, Motul (unknown what version is preferred), stihl orange bottle, amsoil.
Think some internet peices referred to carbon build up using Ultra when people didn't run full throttle. My leaf blower in suck mode and the small strimmer I would often run low throttle for various reasons would be the only 2 times that would occur, everythign else would normally be max.
I saw the Motul 800 2T reasonable priced, but I'll run a test bottle of Ultra and if I don't get a smell issue it may be just as easy to use that as I can get 5lt at dealer for £68 and may suit the 4-mix engines I have anyway.

Think some internet peices referred to carbon build up using Ultra when people didn't run full throttle. My leaf blower in suck mode and the small strimmer I would often run low throttle for various reasons would be the only 2 times that would occur, everythign else would normally be max.
I saw the Motul 800 2T reasonable priced, but I'll run a test bottle of Ultra and if I don't get a smell issue it may be just as easy to use that as I can get 5lt at dealer for £68 and may suit the 4-mix engines I have anyway.
The Echo Powerblend X will clean your engine, there is no smoke off it, I run it at 40:1, I accidentally mixed it at 20:1 because the make a 200ml bottle, it smoked a little, I immediately deduced why and put more petrol in the can.
I would mix Motul 8002T at 50:1 unless conditions were really bad, the enduro / cross version, not the road race version of 800 T2.
The Stihl will be a good option too.
The pdf I attached has good information on 2t oils, and lists the ones the author holds in high regard.

Not sure I would use the Echo given its description says formulated for specific use in Echo machines, probably a selling point and will work in anything obviously but maybe there is an oddity in machine setups.
The Amsoil I see has a lot of mentions online in forums etc and people like it, but at £23 delivered for 1 litre!!!! It is a costly outlay that the US customers don't seem to face and often say it is cheaper than HP Plus. At £68 for 5l HP Ultra that is a lot cheaper, though 5 bottles of Amsoil perhaps same postage as one which narrows it a bit, but ultimately 5l equiv is £19 more getting the Amsoil. Then begs the question that is 50:1 use I am considering. Not sure I'd take the risk on 100:1 which would change the price dynamic a lot if you did and makes the Amsoil cheaper.
I was getting some parts today and got a one fill bottle of HP Ultra to give it a try. Smell seems to be one thing people mention, i'll see if I experience that and see how they machines run....I wouldn't want to buy too many one shots at £2.51 each!! ha.
Its better on paper that what you were using, do a search for the oil you use
followed by safety sheet, or sds, and do the same for echo, there is no valuable information on the sds sheet for the oil you were using and looking for.
Am not taking a pop at the oil you use, but without knowing whats in there it would be impossible for me to use it, echo on the other hand show a lot in their safety sheet for powerbeledX, and it doesn't smoke, unless your stupid like me and add 200ml to a gallon of petrol.

Attachments

• Powerblendx .pdf
    234.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 02_om_prosint2_rev11_gb.pdf
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
Its better on paper that what you were using, do a search for the oil you use
followed by safety sheet, or sds, and do the same for echo, there is no valuable information on the sds sheet for the oil you were using and looking for.
Am not taking a pop at the oil you use, but without knowing whats in there it would be impossible for me to use it, echo on the other hand show a lot in their safety sheet for powerbeledX, and it doesn't smoke, unless your stupid like me and add 200ml to a gallon of petrol.
It is api tc jaso fc iso-l-egd I actually no longer intend on using it, however I never had a problem with any machine in the whole time I used the 5litres.

As above I said I was going to try a single shot of the HP Ultra which I did and I think it is better than the Prosint. Only a little smoke at start until engine at full temp I presume, then virtually nothing. Secondly whilst I never liked a face full of the Prosint exhaust the Ultra was pretty much odourless which surprises me the people complaining about an odour from it?!?
Inside the piston through the plug it looked wetter after use than thicker sticky carbon look before. The exhuast on the HS82 seemed to emit a tiny bit of lighter oil rather than tube lined with thicker stickier oil deposit. These 2 things suggest that the oil is not completely carbonised/burnt off but remains in a liquid form to some extent keeping everything well lubricated.
Given the costs of postage for all the other alternatives the HP Ultra works out cheaper and I run all Stihl tools so it can't do much harm given thats what it is tested on.

It is api tc jaso fc iso-l-egd I actually no longer intend on using it, however I never had a problem with any machine in the whole time I used the 5litres.

As above I said I was going to try a single shot of the HP Ultra which I did and I think it is better than the Prosint. Only a little smoke at start until engine at full temp I presume, then virtually nothing. Secondly whilst I never liked a face full of the Prosint exhaust the Ultra was pretty much odourless which surprises me the people complaining about an odour from it?!?
Inside the piston through the plug it looked wetter after use than thicker sticky carbon look before. The exhuast on the HS82 seemed to emit a tiny bit of lighter oil rather than tube lined with thicker stickier oil deposit. These 2 things suggest that the oil is not completely carbonised/burnt off but remains in a liquid form to some extent keeping everything well lubricated.
Given the costs of postage for all the other alternatives the HP Ultra works out cheaper and I run all Stihl tools so it can't do much harm given thats what it is tested on.
Both the HS82 and HL 94 long reach both had filters cleared, spark plugs cleaned and the throttle stop screw adjusted to make sure full throttle was obtained.....and they ran hard and fast the whole time, I couldn't say the oil was in any way detrimental to their performance as some claim abotu random other oils.

I try the oil between my finger tips, its amazing how some are greasy,
some are oily and some stick your fingers together like rubbing dry glass.
Not too scientific, but the oily one revved quicker, the greasy one did not
pick up as quick, but it was hardly noticeable, the non slip one revved the least.
Makes you wonder though, lubrication is only one part of it, how it burns and what it leaves behind are just more variables.

Have fun everyone.

Have a listen to "Top of the middle of the day to you boys and girls"
he has a discussion about two stroke oils here,

Try putoline mx9 you wont be disappointed, very clean and been running it a while. Its fully synthetic FD rated

Another Brit here. I use mid brand two stroke oils that are deigned for chainsaws. I didn't like the blue fully synthetic stihl Ultra - it was clean burning but it left the crank too dry. The old d Stihl HP mineral is OK and I have used it for years, it lubricates well but I suspect its not that clean. I now prefer Oregon oil. Its semi synthetic (best of both worlds) and FD rated. I mix small quantities of fresh fuel and mix at 40:1. I only mix my own when using a lot of fuel or summer strimming, otherwise Aspen really has all the answers.

Back