Nasty little rumor about new Huskies shutting off without proprietary 2-stroke oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And sorry to disappoint, 7sleeper -- I'm just a guy working with saw crews who got lousy information from a shop in town, not a clever troller. Once again, thanks everyone for getting me straightened out.

If I'm wrong I appologize. No offense meant.

Welcome to AS then!

Howdy.

I heard a nasty little rumor from the fellow at our local saw shop about new Husqvarna chainsaws having some sort of chip in the carburetor that must sense Husqvarna brand 2-stroke oil or else it'll shut the saw off...

LOL. Quite the tall tale; sounds like he's trying to put one over on you. Why not fight fire with fire: next time you see him, tell him something to the effect that the shut-off mechanism can be bypassed by blocking the Murphy transfer port in the carburetor with a combination of Red Man chewing tobacco (pre-chewed) and Gorilla Glue. Additional benefit is the exhaust smells like chocolate frosting.

Just curious: how did the company end up with 60 saws of different models and make rather than settle on one service vendor and one brand? Inventory and repairs must be challenging...

Phillip, great question.

We can only buy our saws a couple of handfuls at a time. 6 or 7 years ago, we only had 440s with a few 460s. Some of our saw work (thinning, brushing, and the like) called for smaller saws so we picked up some 361s, which still have quite a few interchangeable parts and performed well for a lot of years. The 440s went off of the market (the first time) and our suspicious shop owner sold us some 441s to try out. We had miserable luck with that first round of 441s -- maybe we got some lemons, maybe they got mistreated, not sure -- so when faced with the prospect of buying 441s and 362s (while we haven't owned any of them, we've worked on them a little bit during a saw training here and there, and they were dreadful little things), we switched over to the Huskies.

If we were able to drop 40 or 50 grand at once and wind up with four or five sets of similar saws, we'd certainly do that, but it's somewhere between 6 and 12 we can pick up in a given year and the models keep changing on us. We could surely stand to have a little more flexibility in purchasing, but, you know, might as well pass the buck on over to the EPA.

Last edited:
And 7, thanks for the welcome and no offense taken. New to AS but not the interwebs -- those trolls are everywhere!

If you don't like it......don't read it.

Yeah, but he's got a point there, and I agree with him. (and he needn't have apologized IMO)

Ya post these rumors/mis-information threads and guys take them and run with them. People get worked up, as you can see from some of the posts that followed the original. The choice of words in the OP was far from ideal. Rather than open the discussion with a question, (which is the better way to go when someone clearly doesn't have a clue as to what they are talking about), he picks the juicy sounding "nasty little rumor".

Also, as some of you guys quickly proved, all he had to do was a little research to get some accurate information. But.........he chose to go the "nasty little rumor" route. It's the low road.

My apologies for the breach of etiquette -- thanks for explaining the social protocol here. Won't happen again.

My apologies for the breach of etiquette -- thanks for explaining the social protocol here. Won't happen again.

Not sure if it can be granted so quickly! We will have to accrue a comitee and discuss about the further procedure.....

:hmm3grin2orange:

...we're looking to purchase 12 or so 372s to fill out our saw sets...we run saws everywhere from 500 feet above sea level on the lower Colorado river cutting nasty crap to 10,000+ feet in the San Francisco Peaks cutting 30"+ white pine. We typically run our saws stock with 20" bars and full comp chains...

372's are popular with pros locally; please let us know how they work out for you.

Back