20" 3/8 on a woods ported 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do it with a good ported 026. A 261 Stihl is bigger by far but not much heavier-especially the V2. The ported 261 will pull it even better.

I’m not certain on the stock HP of the 026 vs 260. I don’t think the power ever changed when they went up to the 44.7 bore. I’ve always read that they increased the bore to offset the more stringent EPA requirements and keep the power unchanged. The early 260’s were still 44mm and the handle sticker came as 49cc. The 50cc ones had the 44.7 cylinder.

It depends on how the saw is ported as well. If it’s done as a high rpm screamer it’s not gonna pull it well.

Here’s a few with standard 3/8.

25”

20”

Thanks for the videos. Is that with 3/8 chain? Also, has this saw been ported?

Why would you want to run saw on the top edge of the limits? Get a 60cc saw that your budget can afford and the saw will thank you.

Just because it can, doesn’t mean it should.

I doubt that I would ever need to bury the bar. I will probably not cut anything over about 16 inches. But I want to run 20" 3/8. I would just like to be comfortable knowing I could bury the bar on very rare occasions if I need to. Thanks for all the response.

I doubt that I would ever need to bury the bar. I will probably not cut anything over about 16 inches. But I want to run 20" 3/8. I would just like to be comfortable knowing I could bury the bar on very rare occasions if I need to. Thanks for all the response.

You can bury a 0.325 16" bar in a 30" dia log and still cut through it. It's going to cut faster than a 3/8 20" bar.

Many years ago, I felled a 52" dbh ash, with a homelite super XL and 25" bar, 60cc saw. That saw was reed fed and didn't bog, but it took a lot of thinking and a lot of time. I bucked that tree with the same saw and sold it for cordwood. Then I split it with mauls, sledges, and wedges; I needed money for college. Today I'd use my 066.

I have a ported 261. I want to run it a few more times before I sell it. I'll see if I can't get a video of it running a 20" 3/8 bar for you.

I have a ported 261. I want to run it a few more times before I sell it. I'll see if I can't get a video of it running a 20" 3/8 bar for you.

Thanks. I'd appreciate that.
When you say, "with authority" that's pretty tough to define. With authority to me might mean different to you. What kind of wood are you cutting? A 50cc ported saw with 72 driver links in softwood might be reasonably sporty. With the bar buried in oak, not so much. It'll definitely do it, but it might not wow you.

I have a ported 261 currently. It's a great saw, but if I want to buck firewood with a 20" bar, it's not the saw I choose. The new versions of the 261 are lighter than the 026s by the way, but they are physically larger. I love the snappy acceleration of the ported 261, but once the cuts get longer than 10-15 seconds, I'd rather listen to something with a lower exhaust note.

So, yes an 026 will do it, but depending on your application and what you like, there's a lot of other saws that will to. Something like a husky 357 or 555 would be worth looking at.

By the new version of the 261, do you mean the 261 CM, or has another version become available? If I'm buying on the internet, how can I tell the lightweight 261s? Stihl claims the 261 only weighs 10.8 pounds, but I'm a little skeptical. I have seen numbers as high as 12.4 pounds.

There's a pretty nice 036 for sale around here or another site for under $250. Less than a port job and you'd have a second saw for backup.

Thanks. I have an MS440 now, in addition to an 026. I love that 440, but I'm getting older and I need to find a new home for it before I hurt myself. Looking for the best lightweight option that will run 3/8 chain and a 20" bar. It's beginning to sound like the 026 could work, especially if ported. But the 261 is looking mighty good. I'm just concerned about the added weight. Stihl claims it only weighs 10.8 pounds, but I have seen numbers as high as 12.4. I have also read posts here about how much heavier the 261 is than the 026.

Thanks. I have an MS440 now, in addition to an 026. I love that 440, but I'm getting older and I need to find a new home for it before I hurt myself. Looking for the best lightweight option that will run 3/8 chain and a 20" bar. It's beginning to sound like the 026 could work, especially if ported. But the 261 is looking mighty good. I'm just concerned about the added weight. Stihl claims it only weighs 10.8 pounds, but I have seen numbers as high as 12.4. I have also read posts here about how much heavier the 261 is than the 026.
Put a lightweight bar on whatever you get or a laminate bar. If weight and running a 20 is that important then you'll go with the lightest bar and chain(full skip is a little lighter, and why fill the saws tanks to the top, then you'll get a break from cutting sooner. Being that weight is such a concern all these are ways to cut a bit of weight and all should be taken into account, as well it should be a ported saw too, since that will take a couple oz's off lol.

Thanks. I'd appreciate that.

By the new version of the 261, do you mean the 261 CM, or has another version become available? If I'm buying on the internet, how can I tell the lightweight 261s? Stihl claims the 261 only weighs 10.8 pounds, but I'm a little skeptical. I have seen numbers as high as 12.4 pounds.

There's two versions of the 261. The original one has a clutch cover that looks identical to your 440. The new one looks different. Two horizontal lines on it. They changed other stuff too, and the saw lost a lot of weight, like over a pound. It really is a lightweight saw. The redesign was 2-3 years ago, so anything on a dealer's shelf should be the new model.

Many thanks for all the replies. Looks like I could pull it off by having my 026 ported. But with the lighter weight and all the advantages of the new version MS261CM, it's a no-brainer. Looks like Stihl's published weight of 10.8 pounds is legit. I believe the 026 was 10.4. I can live with that little bit of difference, especially with a Sugihara light weight bar. I plan to wait for a really nice MS261 that shows a little wear, so it has probably already been through the break-in period. I will still have it ported and tuned. That 026 is just too nice to sell. So is the 440, but one of 'em needs to go. Watch for a really nice 440 in the classifieds.

Many thanks for all the replies.

Many thanks for all the replies. Looks like I could pull it off by having my 026 ported. But with the lighter weight and all the advantages of the new version MS261CM, it's a no-brainer. Looks like Stihl's published weight of 10.8 pounds is legit. I believe the 026 was 10.4. I can live with that little bit of difference, especially with a Sugihara light weight bar. I plan to wait for a really nice MS261 that shows a little wear, so it has probably already been through the break-in period. I will still have it ported and tuned. That 026 is just too nice to sell. So is the 440, but one of 'em needs to go. Watch for a really nice 440 in the classifieds.

Many thanks for all the replies.

I sent you a PM regarding a certain ported 261.

Keep in mind when these saw manufacturers give you the weight of the the saw it is “dry weight” with no fuel or oil. So a said saw may have a lighter dry weight but have larger tanks versus another saw thus nullifying your weight savings, granted maybe not by much but still heavier when loaded. You wouldn’t think that it would take much effort for them to fill with fuel & oil then take a weight for a real world stat.

Here is my 261 V2 full of fuel & oil weighed on a set of bathroom scales.
8342D178-7A8D-466A-BDE2-D99554DCD7AB.jpeg

And my 440/460 for comparison since you said you have a 440

7D0FBDE9-12EC-469E-B744-7A6AD3B0A8CB.jpeg

I have my Dolmar 5105 out getting ported, I inquired about a 20”bar & 3/8” on it & was told if I was “heavy-handed” I probably wouldn’t be “wowed” & would work the hell out of the saw but if I let the saw & chain do the work I would likely be very happy. Those comments were about burying the bar. Good luck with your search.

Keep in mind when these saw manufacturers give you the weight of the the saw it is “dry weight” with no fuel or oil. So a said saw may have a lighter dry weight but have larger tanks versus another saw thus nullifying your weight savings, granted maybe not by much but still heavier when loaded. You wouldn’t think that it wouldn’t take much effort for them to fill with fuel & oil then take a weight for a real world stat.

Here is my 261 V2 full of fuel & oil weighed on a set of bathroom scales.
View attachment 786222

And my 440/460 for comparison since you said you have a 440

View attachment 786224

I have my Dolmar 5105 out getting ported, I inquired about a 20”bar & 3/8” on it & was told if I was “heavy-handed” I probably wouldn’t be “wowed” & would work the hell out of the saw but if I let the saw & chain do the work I would likely be very happy. Those comments were about burying the bar. Good luck with your search.
Unless you're cutting hedge I'd hope a ported 5105 would pull a 20 nicely.
@cuintherearview

Back