20" bar on a 45cc saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i just bought a new husky 345 with a 16" bar I was wondering if I could put a 20" on it if I need to cut a larger tree even if it was oak??? or would I be way underpowerd? maybe a 18" would be ok?

I think that 20" would be asking more of the saw than it can provide. I would normally consider a 16" bar to be the maximum for a saw of that displacement, and even then it wouldn't be particularly lively in anything other than pine. Can it be done? I suspect so. Would I want to do it with any frequency? Probably not. Remember, a 16" bar can handle material up to 32". A 20" bar would work on material up to 40".

If you are needing to make a couple cuts in really big wood, I think the earlier suggestion of hooking up with someone with a bigger saw is a good idea. Renting a big saw from time to time might be a good idea, too. But if you anticipate needing to make big cuts more often, then it might not be a bad idea to pick up a second, bigger saw for those instances.

For what it's worth, I run a 20" bar on my 80cc saw and a 16" on my 56cc saw.

20" bar on 45cc's will be considerably underpowered. I too would run 16" maximum. However, if that saw's all you have and you've absolutely got to make cuts that absolutely require a 20" bar, then yep, it'll work. Razor sharp full skip chain, and don't push at all, let the saw pull itself along. The saw won't like it, but it will work. I run an 18" b&c on my 61cc saw.

45 cm3 saw can handle 20" bar well if to cut with it logs ca 10"-15", not more.
I`m using more and more 18" bar on my 50cm3 saw, even when I cut trees 5" diameter because I can buck them into firewood length directly on the ground with the bar nose not bending and loading my back too much :)

On almost any 45cc engine 20" bars are a bit too much. stick with the 16" on it, and if you need to make larger cuts, do as suggested earlier, and hook up with someone who has a bigger saw, or buy one of your own.

I have a 20 inch bar on my ms 290 and it is not that quick I wish I had gotten a 16 inch bar I would not suggest running a 20 inch bar on a 45 cc saw unless you have to. That saw would be alot better suited with a 16 inch bar if you do run a 20 inch get a full skip and a couple of files you can tell quick when the chain is getting dull.

I have heard that a 4 cyl Toyota pickup can tow a 5th wheel - but you can forge tabout getting ahead of the pinto with the flat tire that wants to race you up the ramp...

Long winded perhaps, but that saw combo would be underpowered to say the least...

Husky say 18" is OK on the 345, and I guess it is for the occational big cut.

However, I would not use more than 15" with any regularity - preferably 13". If you really need a longer bar, get a bigger saw!

I use 15" on my 353, and have no intention of putting a longer bar on it.
15" bar will easily cut 27-28" trees/logs when the situation allows cutting from both sides.

Make sure that the bar and chain is the narrow kerf variety on the 45 cc saw.
95VP/H30/S30 chain is perfect on the 345.

They sell 46cc Poulans w/ a 20" bar. Sell 38cc and 40cc saws w/ 18" bar. Several members here defend POS Poulans to the death so it must be OK to run a long bar on an underpowered saw.

This is dumb! I can't say that a 20" bar will work well on a 45CC saw, but I do know that an 18" will work just fine on a 44.3CC saw. Of course, you may be talking about 3/8" pitch here. I always used .325 pitch with my 025 and it would cut great. iw anted a 20" but it would not fit! I doubt I would have had a problem pulling it. Most of the poulans that are sold with 18" bars are sold with 3/8 lo pro consumer chain whic should be a lot lighter than true 3/8" or .325 either one. I have had that 025 buried in a cut many a time and the only thing that ever stopped it was the bar being too short to cut even with a plunge and both sides cut through the wood like a 42-45" tree

Latest posts

Back