20" bar on an 026. Yay or Nay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I realize there are theoretically better choices but I have 2 saws, one of them is an 026 and I don't want to buy another one. Is a 20" bar on an 026 OK for light duty use without harming the saw?

I run 16" bars on my 50cc saws, many have been stronger than an 026. The only 50cc I would run a 20" on would be a Dolmar 5xxx, and that's only if it was your only saw and had wood that warranted it. Your mileage will vary.

My MS260 came with a 20 inch rescue bar. I put a 16 on it but it runs the 20 with no problem if I run it right. It feels and cuts better with the 16, though.

My 260 has worn a 20" for over 10 years now. Literally just swapped it over to an 18" a week ago to standardize my 50cc saws. I really don't think 2" makes a big difference to the saw to be honest.

Let the sharp chain do the cutting and you will be fine, I run 20" bars on most of my 026`s, a few have 18" 3/8 chisel and do very well but keeping them super sharp is a must.
I agree. I usually run a 18 on mine but use a 20 from time to time. Sharp chain is the key.

Back