$200 for a Stihl 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAS61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone - there's a local classified for a used 026 for $200. There's a pic which looks OK, but no real description. Provided the compression and look of piston look good, and of course it runs OK, is this a fair price? Used 026's seem to run between $150 and $250 on Ebay, for what that's worth.

Thanks,
Russ

Except I find Ebay is overpriced by people who like to win auctions from people that don't know what they really have. Was really interested in what an educated consumer would spend.

If it doesn't look beat and functions like it should w/ good compression, I'd say $200 is a good price for someone that needs it, if it also looks nice could be worth $250 or more . Consider the bar,chain and sprocket since if not in good shape that can add considerably to your investment.

Big thing affecting value will be actual condition. If it's well used, lots of missing paint, scratches, maybe some cracks or chips on some of the plastic, less than a $200 saw.

If it's actually not used that much, good plastics overall, and just needs a good cleaning then $200 is a fair price.

If it's really in good shape then all cleaned up and well presented might have potential to be a $250+ saw...026 is older there was an 026 pro and a 260 subsequent if I'm not mistaken.

Another thing to note is they are good solid saws but not really sought after. Later models had carbs w limited adjustment. Less power vs 261, 5100, 346 xp, 545/550 xp and the other popular/late model 50 cc saws.

I got a filthy but good running 026 off CL for $95, came with 6 chains and 1 1/2 gallons of bar oil. All it really needed was a good clean up and an air filter as the flocking was getting beat. P/C was OEM and looked great on muffler side

$200.00 is not a bad price if no work is needed. I wouldn`t pay that price but others will. I got someone coming over for a 026 for $275 today. If your in it for the long haul hold off for a better deal.

$200.00 is not a bad price if no work is needed. I wouldn`t pay that price but others will. I got someone coming over for a 026 for $275 today. If your in it for the long haul hold off for a better deal.

:agree2:

I have seen newer 260's going for that price around here. It just depends how desperate you are.

I just sold it. People up here love the Stihl`s and if it is clean and runs right they sell pretty high. This one was really clean looking and ran right. People don`t want to work on them any more and just want it to run right. They also don`t like to wait for a better deal on C-list. I get them for 80-90 bucks fix them and flip them. Two days ago I picked up a 260 pro for $80.00 bucks. I think I`ll keep the pro. Even the 031 go for 175 up here. It feeds my cad for sure. Keep the pro rated saws and flip the rest.

I've been doing the same thing. Just sold an 024 AV with an old bar for $185. I picked up my 026 for $47 and it had a brand new bar and chain. (and it runs great)

Last edited:
:agree2:

I have seen newer 260's going for that price around here. It just depends how desperate you are.

I'm not desperate at all, could use an extra saw in that size, but don't need it ASAP. Just wondered if this was a good deal or not, sounds like it really depends on the condition, and if there are issues, will the seller take less. Also, this is an 026 Pro, don't know how this differs from a regular 026, or how this effects the price.

I'm not desperate at all, could use an extra saw in that size, but don't need it ASAP. Just wondered if this was a good deal or not, sounds like it really depends on the condition, and if there are issues, will the seller take less. Also, this is an 026 Pro, don't know how this differs from a regular 026, or how this effects the price.

Pro means it has a decomp and adjustable oiler. And a nice sticker.

026 pro has adjustable oiler and compression release,IMHO neither are worth the premium you pay. If the saw is in good shape and runs well...buy it. You will always be able to get your money back if you take care of it.

From what I've seen, the Pro fetches roughly $50-75 more than non-pro on fleabay.

I bought an 260 pro for $25. It had been ran over but I had a 024 parts saw that had everything i needed to make it right.

Back