200' redwood takedown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just talked to an old friend who lives on a mountain above Boulder Creek California. I AM going out for a quick viusit on Wednesday. He asked me to take down a 200' (I hope he's exagerating), 4-5' DBH, redwood leaning over the house. I like to do some pruning and removals for my ex-inlaws when I visit Cali, so I AM happy to bring out my climbing gear... and I AM a wondering what to bring for this takedown.. I climb on 150' fly and normally use 200' of true blue for lowering.. Biggest trees I work on in Philly are normally around 100', though can rarely go as high as 120'...

So given an inexperienced ground crew and unknown ropes and rigging hardware, and I'll have to fly all my gear out, I've been thinking about how to do this tree. I could order some sear and have it sent there...

I AM thinking of rigging from a small shackle on a sling and using an 8 in the tree for friction to lower myself... (so a 200' lowering line should be plenty)Taking it small if needed, though that would be really slow if I had to block down the wood like that... I AM hoping I can brush out the tree, then guy it and fall it perpendicular to the lean....

SO I'd appreciate some info from those experienced with redwoods.. How do they hinge.. how strong are they for rigging off themselves... how heavy is the wood etc...

Thanks

l'd be happy to fly out and help you, if this gig was a little later on, and if my expenses were covered. I have never taken down such big wood before, but it sounds like a real challenge. How intense is the lean over your friend's house? That could be a real problem in the home stretch. How are you going to get up this tree? Spiking 170' or so may be a fun experience. I remember seeing a video of a rec climb up to 200'. They used an elevator system where the weight of one climber coming down raised another going up. Of course someone had to be the first one up the tree without the aid of the elevator. That first climber going up was never shown. I do remember that Tobe was on the scene and shot a line pretty accurately with his Big Shot. Remember to get a bunch of pictures and/or videos so we can all live your adventure, vicariously!

Dan, How comfortable are you on spurs? Limbing out a 200' redwood, especially if you have to lower all the limbs, you will need long gaffs and a boot and spur combo that is comfortable for you.

Redwood limbs are not excessively heavy so GENERALLY you can daisy chain them...depending. But the wood is brittle so they will tend to pop as soon as you make your top cut. It can be a bit of surprise if you are not prepared for it.

Doing the lowering yourself from the tree will lower the rigging forces but also will put a pretty big burden on yourself. That's a pretty big tree to take down for a one man band.

If the wood needs to be lowered, the stuff you have mentioned is not adequate.

4 to 5' dbh and 200' tall is probably a youngish tree; depending on the growing environment they can vary a lot. Some trees in manicured residential areas can grow over rapidly and have structural issues. If it is in a more natural setting, you should be ok. All things being equal they generally hinge very well, the wood is nice to cut. So if there is room to fell it, that shouldn't be a problem.

Have your friend confirm that removal permits are not required in that area.

Climbing a tree of that size is often the high point of a climber's career (no pun intended). It is quite the feeling.

Dave

Last edited:
bring the grcs or hobbs whatever ya have and 350-400ft of 3/4 stable braid would be a wise choice. the wood is very strong and spike friendly. be sure to bring some big azz loopies or woopies because there will not be any good crotches to work with. good luck and i hope your guys have plenty of experience and the climber is in good strong shape. dont forget to look into permits if need be.

I agree with TreeCo, on the homefront we all know our limits(some anyhow) but out of town with an untrained crew:dizzy: Not to mention your standard gear will be obsolete, at 170ft how big do you think that stuff is gonna be...how about 120ft? im thinking work load limits, log weight, bar size & targets!!!

Whatever your decision BE CAREFUL!! this sounds like a job for a crew of well trained & experienced personnel!! redwoods I would think are nothing like the maples/oaks in Philly, the characteristics of a tree mean alot & we are all pretty familiar with what we trim at home!! you might consider it an adventure........I would compare this with the average home owner trying to take down a 50 cherry tree....he might do ok!! but the stats of those who didnt are staggering!!

Good Luck & Godbless

LXT.................

dont forget a steel core. you will de doing a **** load of close cutting with a long saw. be safe and think twice befor making your next move.

You better learn to roll a flip line. Working the flip up that bark is an adventure until you learn how.
You will need some redwood gaffs, normal tree gaffs will be like using pole climbers on normal trees.
Drop and catch on that diameter should not be learned over a house.

I live by Boulder Creek and a few neighbors have had similar size trees removed. Both times they used a crane. The wood is very valuable. The trees tend to grow straight, but they are big trees.

I live by Boulder Creek and a few neighbors have had similar size trees removed. Both times they used a crane. The wood is very valuable. The trees tend to grow straight, but they are big trees.
This poster has it right, I don't know where you are in relation to Arcadia, California.
But I have hauled mucho loads out of there as a backhaul to the Eastern States.in the 60s, 70s & 80s When I wasn't craning.
It was like new gold coming out of California.
I think talking to a local company might keep you out of a heap of trouble.

Just from reading your post, you are in no way geared up or qualified to do this tree. A redwood like that requires a different set of skills and you need to work up to it to be safe. You also need experienced ground help who have experience lowering heavy pieces on a Hobbs or a GRCS.

I recommend climbing the tree as a recreational climb and leave its removal to a more experienced climber and crew. I am certain you are good at what you do but do not underestimate this tree. Maybe your friend is wrong about the proportions and maybe he is right. Personally I need to see a tree like that in person before I decide what gear and personnel I need.

Just from reading your post, you are in no way geared up or qualified to do this tree. A redwood like that requires a different set of skills and you need to work up to it to be safe. You also need experienced ground help who have experience lowering heavy pieces on a Hobbs or a GRCS.

I recommend climbing the tree as a recreational climb and leave its removal to a more experienced climber and crew. I am certain you are good at what you do but do not underestimate this tree. Maybe your friend is wrong about the proportions and maybe he is right. Personally I need to see a tree like that in person before I decide what gear and personnel I need.

from reading his previous posts on this site i'd say murph can do any tree.

the redwood to him would just be a really big pine. thats all. he's just gonna need some longer ropes.

i got faith in his ability.

the redwood to him would just be a really big pine. thats all. he's just gonna need some longer ropes.

No doubt, :cheers: but the first time I was there way back when. I stayed in a state of shock.
And each time afterward, it never got old.

I have done large redwoods. I used to live in Northern California. Its been about four years for me and I would be reluctant to do that tree without a hobbs or a GRCS and a good crew. I am not trying to slam Mr. Murphy.

If you do do the tree, redwood branches pop off easy, large branches can break off after a swipe or two of a hand saw. Bark can come off in large sections attached to your spurs.

I have done large redwoods. I used to live in Northern California. Its been about four years for me and I would be reluctant to do that tree without a hobbs or a GRCS and a good crew. I am not trying to slam Mr. Murphy.

If you do do the tree, redwood branches pop off easy, large branches can break off after a swipe or two of a hand saw. Bark can come off in large sections attached to your spurs.

i would love to climb a redwood!

Latest posts

Back