• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell 2003 372xp 76.5cc 52mm Big Bore 5.8 Hours on the clock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exumed

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there! Up for grabs is a 2003 372XP. Here's it's story:

I purchased from a local guy who "rebuilt" this saw. After several hours of use it lost compression. Turns out he mismatched some parts and didn't follow the correct run in procedure, or do any carb tuning for that matter.

I popped the cylinder and found nasty scoring on cylinder and piston. Both were scrapped. I purchased a 52mm piston and cylinder kit. The casting for the cylinder was surprisingly good. I then polished the exhaust port, making sure the nikasil coating was undisturbed.

I put a new cylinder gasket and exhaust port gasket, and did little else. No porting, no modifications of squish, or timing. I checked the remainder of the bearings, the rod, crank, etc. that the previous guy may or may not have added. All other moving parts were in good shape, bearings had no slop or unwanted play. The muffler on it now is bone stock. I'm sure this saw will benefit from a muffler mod. I popped a tach on it for the duration of run-in.

At 3.8 hours I set it to 13450 RPM with 40:1 fuel. During run-in the saw saw only wood less than 12" in diameter (no larger wood was available). I just took it out today for 2 hours in wood 12-18" in diameter. The saw performed flawlessly. I like this saw much better than my 2008 372XP I recently parted with. I recently acquired a Snellerized XPW though, and need to move on to other projects. Here are some current pics.

There is a crack in the filter cover that I repaired with some high strength resin.

I'm asking $600 + shipping PHO or with 20" B&C. I will also entertain part trades for non functioning 372's. I'm also interested in Stihl MS440's and 460's, either broken or working. Let me know what you have!

Thanks,
-Tim

first of all very nice saw . you are missing a bolt in you muffler lol. im not trying to get on your case . your price is a hair steep . 372xp prices are very low now a days . also considering this it not a oem kit . alot of people like there oem ( they no who they are lol) ..

first of all very nice saw . you are missing a bolt in you muffler lol. im not trying to get on your case . your price is a hair steep . 372xp prices are very low now a days . also considering this it not a oem kit . alot of people like there oem ( they no who they are lol) ..
Doh! didn't even notice the bolt. It will be replaced before I pack it.
Reduced the price a bit.
Thanks

I think your 2171 is already at high retail. This one's off the chart.
While I appreciate the sentiment, I've seen several saws in similar condition sell for far more even than what I'm asking here.
I'm not looking to rip anyone off, but at the same time I don't want to take a huge loss. I feel the price I'm asking is neither the lowest price, nor anywhere near the highest price I've seen people ask and get for a saw like this.

I like to price my saws for what I have in them, so some of my saws are high priced and some are bargains
+1
I've got more into this saw than I'm currently asking. I'm just trying to avoid loosing my shirt completely.
If you've got a 365, 372, ms440, ms460 or maybe an ms360 that's not running, I'm looking for another project; I'd gladly do part trade.

What brand is the p/c? Also what part of Oregon are you from. I'm in Deer Island.
The P&C were made by Big Bear Saw Works. I've seen some other aftermarket cylinders before and was not impressed with their castings. The Big Bear kit is one of the better castings I've seen and fit correctly with no modification to the cylinder or crankcase.

I live down in the Eugene area. Nice to bump into another Oregonian!

Weekend Bump, I'll try to get a new pic with the replaced muffler bolt sometime in the next couple of days.

Latest posts

Back