2008 Bandit 254xp slide box maintenance question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superfuture88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought a 2008 Brush Bandit 254XP with 1700 hours on it. Previous owner did a lot of maintenance on it but one of things I noticed on my first job with it was that the feed rollers/crushers were finicky. I would have to work the feed control bar back and forth to get it to grab about 20% of the time. In wondering if this was normal, I started watching the slide box more closely and realized that the delrin(?) slide guides are worn, the backs worse than the fronts. So there's a lot of slop in the slide box and I think it's binding.

Anybody replaced these? Can you cut your own? Do you need to lift the unit out or can they be replaced without disassembling? Thanks for the help. Will probably post some other questions as the unit has a few other pecularities, like having to activate two levers at the same time to raise the top feed wheel.

Update. I got scammed. I do not own a 2008 Brush Bandit 254XP. I own a 2013 Woodchuck WC19. Due to the repaint and removal of the serial plate, my inexperience and excitement to get a new chipper, I paid 10-15k more than I should have for the chipper. After a week of triangulation and research, I finally figured out it was a Woodchuck, that Woodchuck was bought by Altec, got in touch with an Altec rep (who was super helpful, btw), and then through the engine serial number whittled it down to the WC19. Slide pads and manual ordered. Small claims lawsuit being considered.

Presently refitting a JD powered Bandit with a door in the discharge chute for one of my arborist customers. Seems as though it has a bad habit of clogging in the radius where the chute transitions from vertical to horizontal so if and when it clogs, his crew don't have to waste a lot of time unclogging it. Seems to only happen with green conifer branches.

Presently refitting a JD powered Bandit with a door in the discharge chute for one of my arborist customers. Seems as though it has a bad habit of clogging in the radius where the chute transitions from vertical to horizontal so if and when it clogs, his crew don't have to waste a lot of time unclogging it. Seems to only happen with green conifer branches.
Sounds like a nice addition. Are you putting it on the top or bottom of the chute? I'd assume the bottom. Do you think it will affect the throw or catch little junks and clog?

Sounds like a nice addition. Are you putting it on the top or bottom of the chute? I'd assume the bottom. Do you think it will affect the throw or catch little junks and clog?
At the bottom, above the cutter flywheel and no it won't impact the discharge of chipped material at all as the door will sit flush with the interior of the discharge chute and will have expanded rubber gaskets all around it's outer edge and it will be secured (latched) to the chute itself with a pair of cam action closures. The access will be hinged so it will drop down out of the way when open. What I did was I took my Hypertherm plasma cutter with 'Fine Cut' consumables and cut the door out of the chute after I laid out the cut with welders soapstone. The 'Fine Cut' consumables cuts a mere 1/16" kerf in the metal so I didn't remove much at all. It's all cut. I need to weld on the latches and hinge yet. because of the gage of the metal in the chute itself, I'll TIG weld it.

Back