200t won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerlakejens

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a 200t that runs strong at full throttle but will not idle. No response to Low speed or idle adjustment at all. I ran the carb through the ultrasonic cleaner and put in a new carb kit, same results. Any ideas?

Random thoughts....

Few thoughts....

Air leak - say around intake boot - split, poor fit, loose (as already said)
Loose or split or kinked/flat/twisted fuel pipe
Ditto for impulse line (as already said)
Fuel filter blocked
Fuel line blocked
Are the low speed circuits clear - say if you take the L screw out and spray dw40 through, does it come out the holes in the venturi?
Is the L screw point in good condition?
Metering lever set at the right height?

What happens when you let go the trigger - does it just die?

And turning the idle screw in has no effect?

I had one that sometimes wouldn't idle but if you could get it running with the trigger it was ok-ish. That was fixed by plugging the accelerator circuit - search carbitooter for a guide to that.

Good luck.

Based the symptoms I'd look at the carb. I 2nd the "carbitooter" search suggestion. That's a LONG, but great thread to read for chasing the demons from the little wundersaw. Where's the H side needle set at now? If you're running it on the rich side of 'normal', then you may have crank seal issues too. It's never a good idea to compensate for bad crank seals with carb adjustments (people do this without knowing what the true problem is). If the seals aren't really bad, then a person can (but shouldn't) make it run 'right' at full throttle for a bit with carb tuning....

The last one that I worked on, that had your same problem, ended up being a bad accelerator pump. Stihl sells it as a Pump Piston Kit.
Personally, if I was installing a carb carb kit in an MS200, I would put a Pump Piston Kit in it as well.

Tony

Thanks for the suggestions. It will only start at half to full throttle, will not idle at all, just dies. After the carb rebuild and new filter, the fuel line was pressurized to the carb when I removed it for a second time just to double check my assembly work. The saw definitely needed a good cleaning when I got it and had several small twigs jammed under the back of the handle, close to the manifold, so I am guessing that it may be leaking. I did start to read the mile long thread on the 200t carb but ran out of time. I just wanted to see if there was a really common leak spot before I tore into it any further.

Yeah, that is the problem with the carbitooter thread. It ended up way too long. There is a lot of good info there, but extracting it from amongst the drivel is excruciatingly painful.

Latest posts

Back