201 mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had brad do mine when I first got it a year or so ago. Really livened that saw up. Still doesn't seem to rev up as quick as a 200 but it's an animal in big wood. If it weren't for the persistent carb problems I've had with it I would be a very happy camper.

I did mine my self following the directions in that thread the first week I had the saw. It was night and day as far as performance is concerned. It runs as good or better then a 200 now. Been having some carb issues though. Also the forestry dept. had issue with that big open hole I drilled in the muffler.

Both Blakes and you say your saw is running better than a 200 yet you both say you are having carb problems. How is that contradiction possible?

When it is running, it's running stronger than a 200. Howevere the reliability of that icon isnt there. Come on vet, doesn't take a genius to figure out why I've bought 3 200s in the one year I've had this saw.

Mine sucked so bad I was gonna sell it till I saw this site n shipped it to brad, and when I get it back it was like a whole new saw!! Def worth the $$ to send it to him, you won't be disappointed!

I'm going to be getting one shortly. I usually keep 2 or 3 200T's on the go, and sell them as them after a year or so and buy a new one. The 200T's aren't without their own carb troubles! If I keep them more than a year I generally put a new carb on them, it's not worth the time to screw around with them. I just want to get work done, and the 200T is my money maker. There are plenty of threads about carb repairs etc, i don't really understand it and I don't want to. All I know are the symptoms. The saw has heaps of compression (150+), but seems unresponsive to tuning. Very unpredicatable upper rev limit like sometimes it'll rev out to 12,500, then shake it/tilt it, and it'll rev to 15,000! Slow to spool up, bogs in the cut easily. Pressure/vad test the saw and everything is fine. Easiest fix; pop a new carb on and it's better than new! Easy tune, heaps of power, stable idle etc... Well worth the $$ for a new carb once a year in my opinion considering the huge hours I put on my climbing saws.

Shaun

HI DAVE!:biggrinbounce2:

So how much does this Brad charge? I thought about going out and doing mine, but I would just mess it up, so better send it to a pro

Mine sucked so bad I was gonna sell it till I saw this site n shipped it to brad, and when I get it back it was like a whole new saw!! Def worth the $$ to send it to him, you won't be disappointed!

Meeting Brad tomorrow after work at a rt 75 exit to give him my saw. He just lives a stone's throw up the road from me. After that I am gonna see what he can do with my ms 150 which I love already.

When it is running, it's running stronger than a 200. Howevere the reliability of that icon isnt there. Come on vet, doesn't take a genius to figure out why I've bought 3 200s in the one year I've had this saw.

Maybe you guys are putting a second additive in the gas bud (sawdust :)

HI DAVE!:biggrinbounce2:

So how much does this Brad charge? I thought about going out and doing mine, but I would just mess it up, so better send it to a pro

I am all thumbs with small engines too and no patience for a saw that isn't running perfect Scott. I asked my Stihl mechanic to do it but now found Brad. With my luck he gets so popular then you never get your saw back in future.

Treevet, you'll love your saw when you get it back, and if there's power to be found in your 150 he'll find it.

I have to confess, that lil 150 intrigues me. If it's as light as they say, with a couple mods it could be a great little gas powered silky for pruning! What's the thing weigh, like 5 pounds?

I agree, but how much power can you get outta 23.6 cc motor?? I'm suprised no1 has built one yet, I wonder if 192 parts are interchangeable?

It kind of reminds me of when I was still landscaping, and the dingo's first came out. We demoed one, and my partner said that's the wussiest little skid loader I ever saw. I said yeah, but it sure makes a badass wheelbarrow! I think if you think of it as a motorized handsaw instead of a true climbing saw, there might he room for one in the stable.

It kind of reminds me of when I was still landscaping, and the dingo's first came out. We demoed one, and my partner said that's the wussiest little skid loader I ever saw. I said yeah, but it sure makes a badass wheelbarrow! I think if you think of it as a motorized handsaw instead of a true climbing saw, there might he room for one in the stable.

Very good analysis. I also have a Dingo 525 tx. This saw is completely competent for pruning right out of the box and has such a sweet idle you can let it sit on the saddle or in the bucket scabbord for an hour in between cuts if you want.

Today, the last day before Brad gets my saw I tried my 201 on a decent size Ch. elm td....what a rag and an embarrassment to the arborist profession. Right up there with the Stihl gas cap faux pas. But this is way worse. The 150 coulda done all the branch removals the 201 did and when I started chunking big stuff ....well the 201 pussed out and bogged in every cut no matter what finessing I tried. No where near enough power to even clean out the kerf and cut new wood at the same time!

An accurate statement would be..."every single 201 that is sold by Stihl needs to be professionally modified before using".

Back