20Tcommercial Barreto splitter vs 37T imports?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edrrt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm getting my dad his own splitter. We split mosty old twisty oak. IMG_20210227_073012_274.jpg

My 27T Iron and Oak really struggles with it, takes multiple tries. Bent a lot of things.

I found a Barreto at the rental place for $1200. Looks in good shape. Only 70 days on it. They are supposed to be super heavy duty, nice Honda GX270 motor. But I'm confused why the tonnage is so low as well as the cycle time (14 sec). They have a huge engine for a 20t unit. I'm wondering if it will work for my wood.

My fear is these are over built and then purposely castrated with low tonnage and speed for longevity of the unit and homeowner safety.

I can get a 37T import Performance splitter with a cheap Briggs for the same price with a 14s cycle time. Or even a 25T for 800.

Is the Barreto really as out matched as it looks on paper?

Same price, what do you think I should get?

Your iron and oak is a better unit. I think that @sb47 splits a bunch of twisty oak with a bigger splitter that he has had good luck with.

The cycle time and tonnage is more than likely a combination of a smaller diameter rod, ports on the cylinder, pump, etc.

It probably pushes through it but that was a sh!t piece of wood and should have been split different. Guessing it would have stalled many basic splitters, I would have attacked that piece different.

It probably pushes through it but that was a sh!t piece of wood and should have been split different. Guessing it would have stalled many basic splitters, I would have attacked that piece different.
Yep reading the wood makes splitting a lot easier on the machine. Knock on wood I haven't broken any thing on the 3 splitters I have owned. And that several hundred cords.

Most of the wood in my trunks is like that or worse. Grain dirrection constantly changes so you need a splitter that can shear wood..Just wondering if the 37T units would do better of if it's all just a sales gimmick.

Latest posts

Back