Any way to speed up a barreto splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edrrt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found a 22T Barreto 922lsh for $1k in excellent shape.

However I noticed checking it out the cycle time is 20 seconds. It's so slow it's almost painful.

A honda gx270 making 9hp should be able to push a 22 ton ram a heck of a lot faster than that right? I guess it has an 11 gallon per minute pump. Can I just toss a 16 gallon per minute pump on there for 150 bucks?

The 920 which is the 20t model is only 14 seconds which is way more usable.

I don't really understand why they even make a 20 and a 22 ton... Effectively they seem the same. And I don't understand why the cycle time is so much longer on the 22 ton.

Does anyone know if there's other differences between the two units? Or if there's some way to increase the cycle time? Maybe swap the pump?

The only difference I see between the two units is that the 22 ton model has a much bigger ram. More like a 26t ram. And so if you toss a 16 gallon per minute 3000 psi pump on there you might end up with a faster higher ton splitter?

The engine size, hoses and build on the machine all look like they can handle it. But there may be nuances I am unaware of.

The only way to lower cycle times is bigger pump or smaller cylinder. A 16 gpm 2-stage should be a direct replacement for your 11 gpm pump. It will shave between 5-6 seconds on cycle time.

Does the ram slow down at all in really thick wood? Sounds like the staging valve is stuck open, leaving you with only the "slow" setting. In which case, you are stuck with a new pump anyways. The check ball usually wears out the aluminum seat on them. Unless it an old Haldex/Rockford or something, where they are more robust... But good luck finding parts.

Does the ram slow down at all in really thick wood? Sounds like the staging valve is stuck open, leaving you with only the "slow" setting. In which case, you are stuck with a new pump anyways. The check ball usually wears out the aluminum seat on them. Unless it an old Haldex/Rockford or something, where they are more robust... But good luck finding parts.
No it's fast until it sees a load then slows. Manufacturer spec for cycle time is 20 seconds which it does.

However I may have a bigger problem. After getting it home and changing the oil with some 15-40 I'm hearing a tick at low rpm I guess I did not notice looking it over. Starts first pull. compression is 100 which seems normal comparing it to my other splitter.

Here is a video:

Is this motor sick? Any ideas what's causing this?

You do an overhead on it? 0.006" on the intake, 0.008" on the exhuast.
No it's fast until it sees a load then slows. Manufacturer spec for cycle time is 20 seconds which it does.

However I may have a bigger problem. After getting it home and changing the oil with some 15-40 I'm hearing a tick at low rpm I guess I did not notice looking it over. Starts first pull. compression is 100 which seems normal comparing it to my other splitter.

Here is a video:

Is this motor sick? Any ideas what's causing this?

I ordered a 4,000 psi, 16gpm pump (13 + 3.5). I will post the outcome.

My iron and oak 26T seems like the same hydraulic lines (4000psi, 1/2"), cylinder size (4.5"), motor and control valve. This thing is built heavier too.

The factory pressure is set at 2,700 psi. Any reason I can't bump it up to 3,200 like my Iron and Oak to take it from a 22t to a 26t?

So I ordered a Chinese pump for 100 bucks because people seem satisfied with them. I left the pressure at 2700. The cycle time went from 21 seconds down to 12 seconds. Pretty impressive gain. However upon trying to split the first log it promptly blew the high pressure port right out of the pump housing. It says it's supposed to be half inch thread. Which is what the old pump was. But maybe this is why most American pumps have steel housings and the Chinese ones have aluminum and the aluminum is too weak?

Any ideas what happened here?

I can slide the half inch npt fitting in and out and frankly the threads aren't that badly damaged on the pump housing. They said it's half inch in their description but I would bet it's probably some metric BS and they are wrong.

Attachments

• 20210429_151540.jpg
    20210429_151540.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Is the pump 1/2 NPT? That’s a number 8 Oring Boss fitting
1/2 pipe is about .84 OD. 11 or maybe 11-1/2 threads per inch. Can’ t recall exactly.
-08 ORB is 3/4-16 thread

I guess pumps come in npt or straight thread. It was npt. I got an npt to JIC elbow and it went in fine still since it's tapered.

Runs/ splits fine. It dropped the cycle time and seems to split as well as my iron and oak 26t. I'd be curious what the relief pressures are between them.

I will say the chinese pump seems to cause the motor to vibrate a little more. It's on rubber motor mounts so it can. You can turn the old MTE pump with 2 fingers with no drag. The Chinese pump you can't. Might just be tight tolerances and the other is warn in. Overall for $100 can't complain. But if I could do it again... Given the slight increased vibration, which may or may not be present on a usa version, I'd prob spend the 50 extra bucks on a usa model.

Something worth mentioning about these Barreto's. I really like how the tongue is much lower than all the other splitters out there. I rewelded the mount on the jack to get lower and it sits perfectly level behind a UTV or ATV. My Iron and Oaks tail is way up in the air. It also tows far better on the road. You can actually travel distance with it. After getting the valve clearance right and the larger pump, seems like a really nice splitter.

Thought I'd need to up the relief pressure to keep up with my 26t I/O but seems to split the same. Makes me think I/O sitters prob don't run at 3000+ psi needed to get their ratings. Both prob are around 22 tons and 2700 psi I'm guessing. Or maybe one can't tell the difference by how they split and the numbers really don't matter.

Screenshot_20210504-001148_Gallery.jpg

Back