235 PSI Compression? Jonsered 80

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellas -

Got a Jonsered 80 several days ago. Spent several hours doing a cleaning and basic triage. Man, this thing was neglected! Prior owner must have been trying to win the title of world's dirtiest saw. Managed to get most of the grime cleaned out, including a few pounds of stuff hiding behind the clutch.

Anyway, as part of the triage, I did a compression test and came up with 235 psi!?!?! Figured something may be screwed up on my gauge so I tried my other one - same reading! It's certainly stout (and has a hellacious kickback), but didn't think compression would be this high. Haven't even seen anything over 200 on any of my saws. Anyone else get readings this high on their vintage Jonsereds?

FYI - this is a cold reading. After the compression test, I primed the carb and got it to pop and then run for a second, but that was it. Haven't changed fuel lines, plug, or fuel filter yet. I'm sure it needs a carb kit, too.

One more question -- the muffler has a heck of a big dent in it. I can probably pull it out a bit with my stud welder and slide puller setup, but I'm also thinking about modding the muffler by doing a muffler mod -- would I have to use a thin cutoff wheel to cut the muffler in half and then weld it back together?

And while I'm at it, does anyone know where I can get a air filter for this saw?

Thanks!

Scott

2017-06-11 16.39.26.jpg 2017-06-11 16.41.31.jpg 2017-06-11 17.45.13.jpg 2017-06-11 17.45.23.jpg 2017-06-11 17.45.51.jpg 2017-06-11 17.45.57.jpg

Many years ago I used to do a little business with Sven Johnson,long time pro saw contestant and chainsaw dealer. His shop was about 7-8 miles from me in Lisbon, Ct. He used to say those 80 models are good saws. Too bad you have to crank it!

Leaded gas
Yes......and higher octane too...Sunoco 260 was sold as 98.....had a 69 MGB....first page of the owners manual said to not operate this auto on less than 105....that makes todays Premium 92 seem pretty wimpy....had to run AV gas to meet those requirements

Latest posts

Back