245a...to Port or not to Port, that is my question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the hunt for one. My father had a twin pair of ported 5200's. Unfortunately, they were stolen when the prescription drug epidemic hit Eastern KY. I have the fondest memories of him, bigger than life with those Poulans. If you could spread the word, I would appreciate it.

Honestly not worth it. I’d leave it be.

That’s a four reed valved saw, the intake is not a port like a piston ported inlet.

The split exhaust has a bridge, so you could only widen it a bit out on each side. I’ve seen the pistons’ face drilled to help lube that bridge & minimize warping. The chrome plating starts peeling off the bridge & then from around the exhaust port if it gets too hot.

Best thing you could do is ditch that junker of a safety chain & keep a full house Oregon 72 series chain on it & then keep it sharp.

Run it in on 32:1 mix, and check to see if the Tillotson carb has the governor. If it’s governed, then tune the high speed screw in the cut.

A saw that old needs to be be pressure tested for air leaks at the crank seals & cylinder base, and then the rotted out body/handle foam gasket needs replaced before it’s ever used for bucking wood.
Best advice is quoted above from Mr Hotshot.

It is your saw, if you want to do a little work you sure can but it will not add a lot compared to porting a modern saw that comes choked up from the factory.

The 245A isn't a speed demon, but is a torque monster. Mine never cut real fast, but you could lean hard on it in big wood and it just flat out cut! I was 16 went I got it & road it hard for 10 years, then it sat for 15. Pulled it out & started using it again & never had a single problem with it.

Latest posts

Back