.25, .325, 3/8 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
:dizzy:I have 4 saws (so far... hanging around here will probably make that 40). Anyway, 3 of them are 3/8 pitch but the Poulan Super 25DA is .250 pitch. A couple of members have said I can switch to 3/8 without any problems but I am wondering what are the merits of all these pitches. My dad has a .325 pitch Jonsered and the .250 pitch Poulan is really low profile compared to the 3/8. Why choose one over the other???:dizzy:

personally i keep all my chains the same other than length so that i can carry one size file. i have 3/8 on everything from my 260 to my 660

it wouldn't hurt to keep the poulan 1/4 pitch, it is good for trimming trees and such. i assume you where talking about converting to 3/8picco? this size chain is more readily available than the 1/4 pitch, but they both use the same file, so that is no problem. if you want to convert it over, just wait till you need a new bar or sprocket and go buy a new bar/chain/sprocket.

I was thinking it would be easier to have all the same file and angles as well. Some of the chains for the Jonsereds are 3/8 pitch but are filed at 30 degrees and 0 degrees tilt (odd to me but I have them). Will I lose anything going to 3/8 pitch on the Poulan? It is a solid nose bar and the sprocket is worn so I can switch only the sprocket and it in theory would use the same chains as the Pioneer 1073 right? The .250 pitch chain is really low profile compared to the 3/8 pitch chains. Will the larger pitch make it lose power trying to take a bigger cut per tooth?

Availability...

I bet even walmart has 3/8...and maybe .325.....they won't have .25.

I would change in order to have all the same type of chain before I would change just for availability.

I was thinking it would be easier to have all the same file and angles as well. Some of the chains for the Jonsereds are 3/8 pitch but are filed at 30 degrees and 0 degrees tilt (odd to me but I have them). Will I lose anything going to 3/8 pitch on the Poulan? It is a solid nose bar and the sprocket is worn so I can switch only the sprocket and it in theory would use the same chains as the Pioneer 1073 right? The .250 pitch chain is really low profile compared to the 3/8 pitch chains. Will the larger pitch make it lose power trying to take a bigger cut per tooth?

Brian, don't get confused on the 3/8's pitch chains. Your pioneer use's a full 3/8's pitch chain and the only 3/8's you can use on the Poulan is what they call 3/8's low profile or as someone else mentioned the Stihl term of 3/8's Picco.

If you choose to switch the Poulan over to 3/8's low pro (and I would) you will still have to use a different file size, being 5/32 to your full size 3/8's chains 7/32 file.

spankrz, pretty much summed it up, on the rest of it. I just got the feeling you were getting confused on the different 3/8's chain sizes.

:agree2:

Mark has it exactly correct. I wanted to switch my Explorer (Poulan 25 analog) to 3/8 for the same reason, but low profile was the closest I could get. I still changed it, but I don't think there's any advantage to 3/8 LP over 1/4 other than maybe it's slightly more available.

So the 3/8 pitch chain I have that has the markings

husqv
LV
hole drilled in every other drive link.

is a 3/8 low profile chain probably?

Brian, don't get confused on the 3/8's pitch chains. Your pioneer use's a full 3/8's pitch chain and the only 3/8's you can use on the Poulan is what they call 3/8's low profile or as someone else mentioned the Stihl term of 3/8's Picco.

If you choose to switch the Poulan over to 3/8's low pro (and I would) you will still have to use a different file size, being 5/32 to your full size 3/8's chains 7/32 file.

spankrz, pretty much summed it up, on the rest of it. I just got the feeling you were getting confused on the different 3/8's chain sizes.

And it would make sense that the 3/8 only has 6 teeth, 1/4 has 9 right?

:dizzy:I have 4 saws . . . , 3 of them are 3/8 pitch but the Poulan Super 25DA is .250 pitch. . . . My dad has a .325 pitch Jonsered and the .250 pitch Poulan is really low profile compared to the 3/8. Why choose one over the other?

The smaller pitch sizes, and the low profile chains, are usually used on smaller, lower power saws - take smaller bites with each tooth. There are also narrow kerf chains!

Although you may be ABLE to fit larger chains on the saws by swapping out sprockets and bars (nose sprockets have to fit too) you may find that the saws do not have the power to drive them as well as they the smaller chains.

Cheaper to buy a few file sizes than to scrap out sprockets, chains, etc. Make up a little file card to remind you which file and angles to use with which saw/chain

Philbert

Yes, important point! :agree2:

Latest posts

Back