254 se need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackel43

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and needed some advice on a 87 254 se I'm new to cutting and had the saw for two weeks and love it my only problem is when i start to cut 8 foot section into 16in the saw heats up quick. I read that the 254xp has air injection would i be ablr to upgrade my saw and what would i need. Next question is to cut my 8foot sections is it better to upgrade to a bigger cylinder to have more power. I read if i change to a 265 crank and cylinder it would work. but would i need a bigger carb, piston rod, top case. thanks for all the great info

Welcome to the site first off.

Second are you cutting lengthwise as in cutting boards? Or cutting 16" rounds for firewood?

If yes to the first? then no you shouldn't be using a little saw like that.

If yes to the second then I would wonder what you mean by getting hot?

Is it running lean? You could richen the H screw a tad. 254 is a nice running saw and should have no issue cutting rounds out of logs.

Sharp chain, correct depth gauge setting? Bar getting oil correctly? Carb tuned correctly?

Dull chain, engine has to work harder, excess heat.

Wrong depth gauge setting (your chain has cutters and depth gauges and perhaps safety bumps), too low or not low enough, engine works harder, excess heat

Bar not oiling well, man it will get the chain hot fast and transfer some of that heat to the engine area

Carb not tuned correctly, too lean, engine gets hot fast, could cook it
air leaks elsewhere, another too lean condition

cylinder fins plugged up with gunk, the engine cooling air from the fins on the flywheel can't do its job

no i'm cutting fire wood it was at least 26 deg c out and after about 15min you can see that the motor is heating up quite a bit i put my oil pump on max to try to help it out my chain moves easy. is there something that i can do to keep it cooler. the carb seems right but i will richen it a bit on high.

You cannot change it to an air injection setup because the cases are a bit different. Air injection helps keep the filter clean but not much else and you don't really need it. You need to be sure your chain is sharp and your oil pump is working right. Follow the advise of the previous posts. Something does not sound right.

It's not worth changing to 262xp cylinder given the amount of things you would have to change out. You have one of the best 50cc class saws ever made. If you want more power do a muffler mod and retune. I have a 254xp and a 262xp and I would sell the 262 if I had to choose between them. They both run great but the 254 is lighter and is not that far behind in the power department. Both are muffler modded and have the squish adjusted.

Latest posts

Back