260 chips plugging in side plate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had same experience or had found a solution?

Having some problems with 260 with regard to chips plugging in the side plate. mostly happening while cutting hard maple.

Droped a 36 inch plus maple yesterday and was using a 260 on the branches up to about 8-10", every few cuts the side plate would plug up with chips. Most times pulling the saw out and reving it would clear it but a couple of time I needed to shut it off and clean it out with the scrench. I wiped the oil out and it was better for a while but plugged up again after 10 or 15 min.

Using 16 inch bar .325 RS chain and medium bar oil.

Any thoughts???

Timberwolf

with a 16'' bar you shouldn't need that much oil, try turning it down and see if that helps

Yup, Ryan has a point. Dry chips will fall out easier than wet chips. The only other thing I could suggest is to stick the bar down into the dirt when the saw is at full throttle. This will take some of the edge off the chain and you won't have to worry about so many pesky chips. :p

no luck only the 260 pro has adjustable oiler

True about sticking the bar in the dirt, I only noticed the problem once the muffler was done up, the carb tuned, and the chain sharpened well.

Not the end of the world, but it is a bit of a pain, only seems to be a problem in maple, I guess the chips from oak or ash break into shorter pieces due to the nature of the wood grain.

Timberwolf

Tuned Pipe

How about a combination tuned pipe - heated wrap around handle with the exit under the chain cover! Should blow out the chips and kill lots of birds with the same stone.

Frank

Another thing you might do is make sure the alum. chain catcher is in place and not bent all to heck. It actually deflects some large chips before they get back under the cover if it isn't mangled.

For you guys who know what makes a difference, would a change in sharpening angles make an improvement in chip size and dispersal when he is cutting this type of wood?

You might want to consider going to a 3/8s chain with all your new power....the high top plate will let chips fall out sooner.

Yep, I have had that problem with wally world oil only.
I changed chain and moved up to a thicker oil and it seemed to just about fix the problem. Mine was curiously also in maple. Never seems to happen with Jonsered, Stihl, Record Chem or CTC oils, they are more expensive however.

Using RS and went to RM which was not at 100% but cut sufficiently well to do the job.

Do you suppose that your success was due to the RM taking a smaller bite than the RS? Seems like a good call.

Russ

I bought a rubber deflector, like is on the 044, and tailored it a bit, to fit into the chain guard plate on my 260 and it piles those chips up at my feet now, instead blowing them all over the place, etc.

For sure, I beleive the chain had a major affect but I also dumped the wally world oil and used some Jred oil I had. What would have the result been if I had not changed bar oil, I don't know.

I was also using an 8 tooth rim sprocket which I could have changed over to a 7 tooth I already had with me which would have helped under the circumstances also. But had to be out of there soon and the time was limited so kept it simple. I did not really have time to try various options and analyse.

West Texas said:
I bought a rubber deflector, like is on the 044, and tailored it a bit, to fit into the chain guard plate on my 260 and it piles those chips up at my feet now, instead blowing them all over the place, etc.

I believe Madsen's or Walkers sell those, I think they are in-house enginering and manufacturing made out of leather. But I think it might compound the problem under certain circumstances.

Last edited:
Piggy backing here: I am down in my annual wood making to sectioning the crotches with the saw. Every time I do that I wind up with long stringy shavings that build up and jam inside the cover. Using a dulled somewhat chain only makes for very hard cutting Is there a different chain or sharpening technique that cuts down on that problem??

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
.. I am down in my annual wood making to sectioning the crotches with the saw. Every time I do that I wind up with long stringy shavings that build up and jam inside the cover. ....
I suggest that you cut at a slight angle to make the chips shorter, using a bar that is long enough to keep some distance between the saw and the wood, so more chips fall down before entering the saw.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back