260pro or 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticknstring

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new ground/climbing saw. I have used a 260pro for many years in this role. I've been thinking of relegating my current one to a back up role, and getting a new one. Just curious about what the opinions might be of using a 361 instead. The 260 has done fine and I have no complaints, just wondering if I missing out on something in the 361.

I have a 200T and 019 for most climbing, and an 064 and 660 for bigger stuff. The new saw would just be for limbing and general ground work, with occasional use while climbing. Enlighten me please.

It depends if handling is an issue. The 361 does not handle at all like a 260. The feels much lighter and much more nimble. If this isn't an issue then go for the 361.

It depends if handling is an issue. The 361 does not handle at all like a 260. The feels much lighter and much more nimble. If this isn't an issue then go for the 361.

This is what I was mostly worried about. I know the 361 has more power, but I don't want to sacrifice lightweight or "feel" when climbing, or when tangled up in nasty brush and limbing. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Well, its definitely not going to feel as light and nimble as your 260. The 260 is a nice small package. The 361 is quite a bit bigger and at almost 2 lbs. more, you'll notice the difference. Here is a pic of mine together.

aad.sized.jpg

Well you are still going to keep the 260 so in the times where the 361 is going to be awkward go to your backup saw, the 260! After all just because it's the backup doesn't mean you can't use it from time to time.

I have a 260 and an 036. There is a noticable difference in feel (weight) and power. The 361 would be a nice step up. A 60 cc saw is 20% bigger than a 50 cc saw and the power seems like more.

I hate the 361 - except that it is my favourite saw...........:givebeer:

....but if a 260 is enough, get a NE346xp - and it will be more than enough - and then some......

I ran two tanks through my not yet run-in 346 today - it never stops amazing me - ran 12K trough 12" semi-seasoned birch, even though I pushed really hard on it (well, got it down to 10K - may try an 8-pin next time) - and the chips were huge - some were 2" long ......

Chain was Oregon 21LP, an excellent chain!!!!!!

Last edited:
....but if a 260 is enough, get a NE346xp - and it will be more than enough - and then some......

Not "more than enough" or "then some" to consider spending another $450 on a 50cc.:monkey:

Keep the 260 as a back up and take the 361 for a spin. I use my 026 more, much lighter and awesome on small stuff.

I mostly use my newer 361 and 034av super and bring my older 361 as the backup (wouldn't want to have not enough saw :) )The 361 is alot better on fuel than the 034 but don't know verses the 260 because i don't use it much .
Get the 361 and you'll be happy after it's broken in .:cheers:

Dont get rid of your 260. I got a couple 026's and they are my go to saw's for the small and medium stuff. I got a 361 thats been home alot lately baby sitting the smaller saws. The larger saws have been chewing up some big red oak lately.

Keep 026, and get a 361. I have both and will keep both. Love them. 361 really is all that and a bag of chips, with a good muffler mod!

I have both and love them. But as an 'older' man, I'd stick to the 260 Pro for climbing, its just a hard saw to beat. In my humble opinion, the 361 with a muffler mod is a ground saw, not a climbing saw. But, I do use both of them for limbing a tree, once its on the ground. If you don't have a 361 then its a great saw to add to your inventory. :cheers:

Not "more than enough" or "then some" to consider spending another $450 on a 50cc.:monkey:

Keep the 260 as a back up and take the 361 for a spin. I use my 026 more, much lighter and awesome on small stuff.

I actually agree, just had to make the point............:cheers:

kind of feeling the same

I upgraded from 024 to 361 and now x fueltanks later I do mis the easy handling of the 024 (but not more than i admire the step-up in performance of the 361)

Different class, different type, different generation. Great alround but that means also compromising.

I would nevertheless not consider adding a 240 now but rather go for the MS192 and have the ultimate in handling and the ultimate in the 60cc class (limbing-groundwork).

In your case (already multi-saw plan) i expect the 361 to give you all what you mis in the 260 while a smaller than 260 saw will give you a jump-around saw. (or as said before, keep your 260 for that)

:cheers:

Back