261C break in period

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am leaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Attached some pics. 32:1 mtronic v3, have not performed reset, just at the end of break in period

Interested in opinions on breaking in self tuning saws

Attachments

• 20240523_030901.jpg
    20240523_030901.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240523_031640.jpg
    20240523_031640.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240523_031704.jpg
    20240523_031704.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
You have to load the engine up to seat the rings. Just don't hold it wide open for extended periods of time for the first 6-10 tanks.

What oil are you running and did you do much part throttle / light load cutting?
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away. I'm using the stihl premium that I got for the double warranty. I have been doing alot of lighter work but I make a point to run it hard in some random log when I do to try and mitigate it. It's supposed to be my firewood saw though

Part throttle is about the worst thing he could do.
Bad in terms of breaking it in specifically? I don't like doing it but I've had to do a lot of limping unfortunately during this time and I had no other saw so I increased the oil mixture and loaded it up hard in big timber to try and offset the light work

Bad in terms of breaking it in specifically? I don't like doing it but I've had to do a lot of limping unfortunately during this time and I had no other saw so I increased the oil mixture and loaded it up hard in big timber to try and offset the light work
Run it wide open but don't overheat it.

Run it wide open but don't overheat it.
Hottest I've seen it was low 300s, im particularly careful about letting off at the end of the cut but I'm concerned about the carbon. Since I have no input outside of my oil mix and the trigger I'm left with either the saw doesn't like limping or doesn't like how I'm limbing...

Hottest I've seen it was low 300s, im particularly careful about letting off at the end of the cut but I'm concerned about the carbon. Since I have no input outside of my oil mix and the trigger I'm left with either the saw doesn't like limping or doesn't like how I'm limbing...
It's no secret that Stihl markets the lowest quality oem oils.
With that said your motor looks fine. Run it and run it hard. Twoncycle use ball and roller bearings which require no break in. The only break in that is needed is for the rings to seat to the cylinder walls. High load is the only way this happens. Running the saw lightly when new is very counter productive.

It's no secret that Stihl markets the lowest quality oem oils.
With that said your motor looks fine. Run it and run it hard. Twoncycle use ball and roller bearings which require no break in. The only break in that is needed is for the rings to seat to the cylinder walls. High load is the only way this happens. Running the saw lightly when new is very counter productive.
I've read this before about stihl oil, and countless other threads until my head exploded.... I plan on switching to something that's less questionable. And getting a couple cord dropped off soon. Curious to see how it cleans up. What's the recommended amount of seafoam to put in a 2 stroke?

Joking, I'd sooner give it away. Thanks for the input

Nothing wrong with Seafoam. I've had it "clean up" 2-stroke carbs that I believe were starting to gum up from old mix on a number of occasions. YMMV

Nothing wrong with Seafoam. I've had it "clean up" 2-stroke carbs that I believe were starting to gum up from old mix on a number of occasions. YMMV
I cant say the same, never used it. It's cosmetic oil, lighter fluid and ..... alcohol.....
If I wanted it's cleaning properties I'll just use the naptha

I've read this before about stihl oil, and countless other threads until my head exploded.... I plan on switching to something that's less questionable. And getting a couple cord dropped off soon. Curious to see how it cleans up. What's the recommended amount of seafoam to put in a 2 stroke?

Joking, I'd sooner give it away. Thanks for the input
The reccomended amount of seafoam? None. It's snakeoil.
Your motor isn't dirty anyways. Just switch to a FD oil and stop obsessing.

The reccomended amount of seafoam? None. It's snakeoil.
Your motor isn't dirty anyways. Just switch to a FD oil and stop obsessing.
Yeah I said that right here

I cant say the same, never used it. It's cosmetic oil, lighter fluid and ..... alcohol.....

Good for you, go for it.

(It's interesting that most of those who say Seafoam is snake oil have never tried it, but most of the people who say it works, do so from experience...)

(Also interesting that the naysayers all act as if they're chemical f$cking engineers, listing ingredients, when Seafoam's composition is a trade secret. Gotta love copypasta Internet Folklore.)

Its no secret. The SDS lists the specific chemicals used and their approximate ratios. The exact percentages aren't specified, but there's no magic secret sauce.

Back