266 XP cutting red oak.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Cutting up some red oak with the 266XP. I really do not like the semi chisel chain on this saw. No matter how i file it i just cant get it to self feed like full chisel. If I dog in it cuts like mad but I really dont like it. This is the last saw in my collection that is not running 3/8" .050 so thats the only reason it jas this chain. Time to buy a new bar i guess lol.

What he said^^^^^^ sounds slow.

Your using .325” chain.? Semi chisel? Go chisel.

You think its fat? I thought if anything it seemed a bit lean lol. Im ised to tuning my old Macs. This thing turns such high rpm that its ridiculous. Lol

What he said^^^^^^ sounds slow.

Your using .325” chain.? Semi chisel? Go chisel.
Its 3/8 .058. It came on the saw. I run 3/8 .050 full chisel on all my other saws and buy it by the roll. Need to get a new bar for this one.

You think its fat? I thought if anything it seemed a bit lean lol. Im ised to tuning my old Macs. This thing turns such high rpm that its ridiculous. Lol
It sounds a little rich to me as well from what I hear. Sounds low on the rpms as well. If it were mine I would lean it out a little until it 4strokes out of the cut and then cleans up as soon as it gets in the cut. It sounds like a good strong saw though.

I think you're leaving some on the table on the top end. It won't hurt a thing to leave it where it is depending on your mix but you would be safe, again, depending on your mix, leaning it out some more.

I might mess with it some yet, but first order of business is getting a new bar and getti g some full chisel on this thing.
I think im gonna go with a 24" its got an 18" on it now and its too short for this saw IMO.

I think the 266se/xp is one of the best husky saws of that era. Back then it cut a lot of my firewood.

I’m using Carlton semi and it eats just fine when sharp.
My logs here are dirtier than what you’re working on so semi was a choice (doug fir so softer too).
Full chisel was getting dull quick while this Carlton chain hangs in there longer.
I agree with those above, ...Maybe Your carb adjustment could stand some attention.

Using your “safety lashes” :D

I was cutting at a saw mill that had large unwanted wood. We used my new huskys 385xp w/32” bar and my 575xp w/28” bar. Towards the end of the job both saws started running like crap. We drained the 40:1 ethanol mix with husky oil. And put in the 50:1 husky pre mix. Out with the bad gas in with the good stuff. Both saws came to life. No more ethanol gas for me.

I was cutting at a saw mill that had large unwanted wood. We used my new huskys 385xp w/32” bar and my 575xp w/28” bar. Towards the end of the job both saws started running like crap. We drained the 40:1 ethanol mix with husky oil. And put in the 50:1 husky pre mix. Out with the bad gas in with the good stuff. Both saws came to life. No more ethanol gas for me.
All I can get around here, the premixed stuff is too expensive for the amount i go through. I can get race gas that is non ethenol but its was over $10 a gallon last i checked and its leaded.

I’m using Carlton semi and it eats just fine when sharp.
My logs here are dirtier than what you’re working on so semi was a choice (doug fir so softer too).
Full chisel was getting dull quick while this Carlton chain hangs in there longer.
I agree with those above, ...Maybe Your carb adjustment could stand some attention.

Using your “safety lashes” :D
Like I said, im sure it is my filing...... all i know is i can sure make a full chisel chain cut, just nit this stuff. This is carlton chain BTW.

I would drain fuel, change spark plug and change fuel filter, Why? that costs nothing and that might be your problem, if thats not your problem then check compression. If compression is good then you have a problem with your chain, bars last a long time even when abused but they do need changing at times.

All I can get around here, the premixed stuff is too expensive for the amount i go through. I can get race gas that is non ethenol but its was over $10 a gallon last i checked and its leaded.
We only have e10 around here. Only difference iv noticed between it and e free gas is I have to lean the saw out a little with e free mix.

Back