Poulan 4000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgreenmachine3400

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just received Poulan 4000 I bought off E-bay. $170 including shipping from Colorado to Minnesota With a 20" bar and chain. I thought that was a really good price. New fuel lines and carb kit too. What can I do to this thing to wake it up?? Base gasket delete cut down cylinder about 20-25 thousands. Gut out muffler. I have never ported. I have 3 3400's. One has become a parts saw now. Could practice on that cylinder. Can the timing be bumped up little? Is there a off set timing key to advance it a little? I plan to put a 36" bar with a skip tooth full chisel chain on the 4000. Will this saw pull this if I dont push hard? I have some really big red oak to buck up for fire wood. Don't have to cut really fast just need to reach across them.
Thanks for any advice!
oldgreenmacine3400

I have had a 25" full skip on mine and that is as long as I would go. I would leave the saw stock if me. If you do open up the muffler, make sure you turn more fuel to it. Also, I have owned several and everyone has some play in the crank bearing pockets when you shake the PTO. I eventually sold them before they developed an air leak as parts especially some are NLA. The chain speed is slower that a Stihl, but they have good torque. A Stihl MS440 will easily out cut them, and a 28" bar is max there.

I believe it's a 65 cc saw, I have one with a 21 in, bow bar on it and it cuts great, all stock. It's got good torque and pulls the extra chain on the bow bar with no problem. The saw is 40 years old and is used around the the farm and for bucking firewood, not had a hard life but used a good bit over the years. Got a 4400 and a 5200 Poulan that have been good saws also. Think this is some of the better saws Poulan has built.

you said if you blow it let me know. I have a stack of 4000's. I asked What do you want for good cylinder and piston? I have some 3400's that would wake up with a 4000 top end. Do you want to sell parts or whole saws?? You offered them to me. I would like to know what it would cost me.

I would sell entire saws or what there of them but I am not going looking at 12 minutes of 11. Honestly based on the fact that you got a running one for $170 delivered you probably would not like my prices.

Latest posts

Back