266se 2-piece ignition coil - how does the plug wire join the coil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm half way through resurrecting a 1983 266se that I was given for free. It had a broken piston ring and was deemed by the farm it was on to therefore be a write-off.

It had a non-working chain brake (now fixed) and a small crack in the top shroud, but the p & c don't look too bad, other than the broken ring. I've just serviced the carby and got the saw all cleaned up and waiting for a few other new bits to arrive (gaskets, starter rope, felling dog, bar plates etc) before putting the whole thing back together.

While cleaning it, I noticed that the spark plug lead looks like it's just pushed into the receptacle on the coil (2-piece set up). The plug lead has been stripped back and there are a few strands of the core wires poking out, and that arrangement is inserted straight into the coil.

Question: is this how it's supposed to be? Is it meant to me more properly/permanantly attached via a clip or something?

Cheers!

ps hopefully this is self-explanatory, but I could post a pic if it helps.

I'm half way through resurrecting a 1983 266se that I was given for free. It had a broken piston ring and was deemed by the farm it was on to therefore be a write-off.

It had a non-working chain brake (now fixed) and a small crack in the top shroud, but the p & c don't look too bad, other than the broken ring. I've just serviced the carby and got the saw all cleaned up and waiting for a few other new bits to arrive (gaskets, starter rope, felling dog, bar plates etc) before putting the whole thing back together.

While cleaning it, I noticed that the spark plug lead looks like it's just pushed into the receptacle on the coil (2-piece set up). The plug lead has been stripped back and there are a few strands of the core wires poking out, and that arrangement is inserted straight into the coil.

Question: is this how it's supposed to be? Is it meant to me more properly/permanantly attached via a clip or something?

Cheers!

ps hopefully this is self-explanatory, but I could post a pic if it helps.

Pictures always help...:)

The High tension wire is simply cut off flush and then screwed (clockwise) into the ignition coil. Sometimes you need to grind a slight taper in the insulator to help get it started. There should be a pointy barbed "spike" inside the coil housing that makes contact with the conductor in the center of the high tension wire.

Thanks guys - from what you've written it very much sounds as though it's supposed to be like this.

Yes, the coil does seem to have a small centered spike down the hole, and with a firm push and clockwise rotation, the plug lead seems to set in there.

I'm not used to such a laissez faire arrangement in terms of electrical security, but I guess it must work OK, or Husky wouldn't have designed 'em like that!

Thanks again - in this instance I think we used less than a thousand words, and saved a picture :)

Latest posts

Back