266XP Air Filter getting very dirty very fast (sucking sawdust)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilakuli

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently rebuilt and ported a 266XP with a 272 Hyway Top End. While assembling it, I realized it was missing the rubber boot that goes over the throttle lever as well as the little plug on the side of the Carb area (see Image 1). So I bought these parts and installed them but afterwards the saw ran pig rich and would require the H screw at like half a turn, so I removed the rubber boot and the saw ran fine at 7/8 H Jet.

However, after using it recently, I noticed a lack of power and the saw getting rich after like 20 or 25 bucking cuts through 20 inch hard wood. So I took the top cover off and was greeted by an inch of sawdust on top of my air filter as well as around the carb.

Has anyone had this problem or has an idea how to solve this? I can't clean the air filter 15 times in a work day...

Thanks,
Alex

IMG_0526.JPEG

Missing Plugs.JPG

Hi all,

I've recently rebuilt and ported a 266XP with a 272 Hyway Top End. While assembling it, I realized it was missing the rubber boot that goes over the throttle lever as well as the little plug on the side of the Carb area (see Image 1). So I bought these parts and installed them but afterwards the saw ran pig rich and would require the H screw at like half a turn, so I removed the rubber boot and the saw ran fine at 7/8 H Jet.

However, after using it recently, I noticed a lack of power and the saw getting rich after like 20 or 25 bucking cuts through 20 inch hard wood. So I took the top cover off and was greeted by an inch of sawdust on top of my air filter as well as around the carb.

Has anyone had this problem or has an idea how to solve this? I can't clean the air filter 15 times in a work day...

Thanks,
Alex

View attachment 1023002

View attachment 1023001

I bought one husky, a 272, just to not be biased and have some context on them. I ran one tank just bucking up logs. I could not believe how many shavings ended up in around the carb.

Since I only have one husky, I thought that is just how they are. :eek:

Lets see a photo of the interior of your top cover.
Is the summer/winter shutter open?
Does the top cover seal onto the crankcase or is the aftermarket 272 cylinder holding it up off the cases?
That seems like a whole heap of fine dust- what are you cutting? If it is punky decaying wood- maybe, if not perhaps the chain is a bit dull.

Lets see a photo of the interior of your top cover.
Is the summer/winter shutter open?
Does the top cover seal onto the crankcase or is the aftermarket 272 cylinder holding it up off the cases?
That seems like a whole heap of fine dust- what are you cutting? If it is punky decaying wood- maybe, if not perhaps the chain is a bit dull.
Please see below 3 photos of the top cover, mounted on the saw (fitment) and the inside. I'd say it sits as it should.

Winter mode is off (plastic installed in top cover), I never use winter mode.

I was cutting ash and oak, moderately dry but sound. My chain is perfectly sharp, the chips coming out of the saw were nice and big and the saw was pulling itself into the wood nicely. And even if the chain was a bit dull, the dust still should not be getting into the airbox in those amounts in my opinion.

IMG_0528.JPEG
IMG_0529.JPEG
IMG_0530.JPEG

I bought one husky, a 272, just to not be biased and have some context on them. I ran one tank just bucking up logs. I could not believe how many shavings ended up in around the carb.

Since I only have one husky, I thought that is just how they are. :eek:
No they're not :D my 346XPG and my 550XP Mark 2 are the complete opposite. Almost nothing gets into the 550, you could go weeks of constant cutting without cleaning the air filter, its close to witchcraft.

Please see below 3 photos of the top cover, mounted on the saw (fitment) and the inside. I'd say it sits as it should.

I was cutting ash and oak, moderately dry but sound. My chain is perfectly sharp, the chips coming out of the saw were nice and big and the saw was pulling itself into the wood nicely. And even if the chain was a bit dull, the dust still should not be getting into the airbox in those amounts in my opinion.

View attachment 1023089
View attachment 1023090
View attachment 1023091

Well, then my best guess would be the dividing wall of your upper cover is not sealing correctly onto the rubber piece that encompasses the intake block.

Ditto here as well, never had hardly any dust on any of my huskys.

Me thrice- okay the 2 series was not as good at filtering out fines as the later "injected air" 3 series- but something is not right with the OP's saw for that many fines to be entering the air box.

View attachment 1023089
View attachment 1023090
View attachment 1023091

You do have an air conductor plate fitted under the recoil starter?

So I bought these parts and installed them but afterwards the saw ran pig rich and would require the H screw at like half a turn, so I removed the rubber boot and the saw ran fine at 7/8 H Jet.
This sounds funky to me. The saw should run fine with the rubber boot. Are you sure it was installed the correct way? The narrow part goes down, to the the handle, not up to the carb. Maybe it was up to the carb, and it was hitting/obstructing the throttle lever?

looks to me as though the chain is not sharpened properly: your saw is making dust, not chips as it should. review your sharpening technique.

looks to me as though the chain is not sharpened properly: your saw is making dust, not chips as it should. review your sharpening technique.
As mentioned above, the chain was perfectly sharp, the chips that came out the saw and landed on the ground were nice and big as you want them and the saw pulled itself into the wood nicely as it is supposed to. I guess the "hole" where the chips get to the airbox is just too small for the "normal" chips.

That was after 20-25 bucking cuts?
yes approx. 25 bucking cuts before I could feel the saw getting rich and therefore loosing power

This sounds funky to me. The saw should run fine with the rubber boot. Are you sure it was installed the correct way? The narrow part goes down, to the the handle, not up to the carb. Maybe it was up to the carb, and it was hitting/obstructing the throttle lever?
boot was installed correctly at the time, I double checked after it was acting up

You do have an air conductor plate fitted under the recoil starter?
you mean that black plastic piece that clicks on before you install the recoil and has a guide slot for the spark plug wire? if so yes that is installed.

Well, then my best guess would be the dividing wall of your upper cover is not sealing correctly onto the rubber piece that encompasses the intake block.
I did not think about that. I checked today while I was in the shop and (unfortunately) that is not the case. I can see a slight imprint of the plastic divider on top of the rubber intake piece but looking under the installed top cover from the front of the saw reveals there is no gap between the top cover and the cylinder area, airbox is sealed up. Tried to take a pictue but it was not that easy.

IMG_0533.jpeg

While double and triple checking everything I found something else however that could be the culprit. Seems like the chips have damaged the rubber chip deflector in the clutch cover so badly they have worn a hole through it and chipped off a piece of metal. The hole is still small enough so only fine sawdust can get through though. Following that path, the sawdust ends up right under the airbox where the fuel line comes up so.... I fixed the chipped metal with JB Weld and I'll build a new chip deflector out of some 3mm rubber and will post wheter it solved the problem or not.

IMG_0535.jpeg

Is sealing collar 501 68 64-01 installed and installed properly?

Also: from service bulletin x82.017 "Under certain hard dust conditions it has shown, that a superior filter function is obtained if the rubber bellows (part 501 51 24-01) around the throttle lever is disassembled".

Is sealing collar 501 68 64-01 installed and installed properly?

Also: from service bulletin x82.017 "Under certain hard dust conditions it has shown, that a superior filter function is obtained if the rubber bellows (part 501 51 24-01) around the throttle lever is disassembled".
The sealing collar is actually a different part number in my case since I have a 272 Top End that uses a different intake block but yes it is installed properly.

The part 501 51 24-01 is from the 266SE and was replaced by part 503 44 50-01 for the 266XP. This part is not installed on my saw since it was not getting enough air to run with it installed.

Latest posts

Back