266xp rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderBFarm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on the site, but you guys are always willing to help so here I am again.

I’ve got a 266xp that is in need of a piston. My local small engine shop told me it isn’t worth the time and labor to repair and tried to sell me a new saw, so I believe I’m going to try it myself. My question is this: should I go with a factory replacement piston or should I upgrade to a big bore kit? I cut about 35-40 cords of firewood per year, and I would prefer the most reliable option.

If the cylinder is saveable- new piston, either Husqvarna (if still available?) or Meteor with Caber rings, followed by Hyway.
Now, given the age of the saw- maybe it needs new main seals, because something caused the lean out that killed the piston in it. Could be the intake block- they can crack/distort.
If you do seals, how many hours have the bearings underneath done?
For 35-40 cord a season, you need a good reliable saw- might be time to think of a major overhaul.

In my opinion, forget big bore- often the cheaper kits make less power than the original setups.
If you want to use a quality cylinder kit (good option if your cylinder is also toasted) to upgrade- be aware of different intake/carb requirements, but it is possible to 268/272 it depending on your top cover.

how difficult is a total overhaul? I’m sure I can find a video with a walk through or something. Just trying to weigh my options against buying another similar grade saw. There are a couple of 268xp local and a 371xp for $300, the bad thing about a used saw is you don’t know much about it aside from checking the piston for scoring.

how difficult is a total overhaul? I’m sure I can find a video with a walk through or something. Just trying to weigh my options against buying another similar grade saw. There are a couple of 268xp local and a 371xp for $300, the bad thing about a used saw is you don’t know much about it aside from checking the piston for scoring.

Yep, personally if I were looking to replace it and not have a few spare saws- I would buy a new saw and rebuild the 266 at your leisure.
There is always risk involved with secondhand.

I have a guy nearby with a 268 for $200 I thought I might pick up to use in the mean time. It’s not an XP though. What are y’all’s thoughts on the open port saws?
I have a black top 61 that is my go to saw but now I’m down to one saw with wood to cut. Kinda checking quick options that could work out good for me in the long run as well.

Thanks to your options, I believe I will try to rebuild that 266.

I have a guy nearby with a 268 for $200 I thought I might pick up to use in the mean time. It’s not an XP though. What are y’all’s thoughts on the open port saws?
I have a black top 61 that is my go to saw but now I’m down to one saw with wood to cut. Kinda checking quick options that could work out good for me in the long run as well.

Thanks to your options, I believe I will try to rebuild that 266.

Hard one to call- the 268 might be real clean and tidy, still wearing all its deals and not beat up- but it is still an older secondhand saw at the end of the day and landing you in much the same boat as what you have.
On the good side- they all share common bar mounts and some other parts, 61-266-268 are some of the easiest saws to work on.
As long as one saw runs at any given time, the other two can be worked on to make run! :laugh:

There is a guy on the tube of you, names himself after a character from the Wizard Of Oz and not the girl, the dog, the Lion. nor the one made of straw.
He has a LOT of information on the 2 series Husqvarna saws that you might find quite helpful.

There is a guy on the tube of you, names himself after a character from the Wizard Of Oz and not the girl, the dog, the Lion. nor the one made of straw.
He has a LOT of information on the 2 series Husqvarna saws that you might find quite helpful.
The 2 series are some of my fav easy to work on have from 254, 266 , 268, 272 , 288, 298 all great runners

Back