268 Help Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stumbled across a 268 on CL cheap ,looked real rough. After a bar and chain and couple of other minor things it also is my "truck saw"
It always seems to end up going cutting. I think I like the feel of it better than my 372xp. Might be the minimal amount of money I have invested.:hmm3grin2orange:Enjoy it

It is the outboard clutch. :msp_smile:

Popped the oiler out tonight, nothing obviously wrong but I think I'll just shot gun approach and replace all the rubber parts in there. Was going to order from Bailey's but since there is a promise of some cyber Monday deals.. I'll wait.

As far as your oiler problem,if you have the o pump output o-ring intact there is really nothing else to replace. The o-ring you have is probably fine. The only two potential leak areas are the pickup tube and output o-ring. Run the saw without the bar and pinpoint where the oil is coming from. Turn the oiler down to position 1 and see if anything changes. These saws have a very simple oil system and are easy to sort out.

The pump's crank seal and large o-ring can be replaced while the pump is off. They are prime areas for air leaks and will cause all sorts of running issues IF leaking. You can put the pump you have back on and pressure test to verify any possible air leak. Any rebuilt saw should get a pressure/vac test to find any possible air leaks. Crank seals,base gasket and the intake block to cylinder gasket on impulse(left) side of gasket are prone to leaks. Need to pressure test.

Great saws when running like they should.

Seeing as how a pump isn't that much, I'll replace it, the pickup line, the output O-ring, big pump O-ring, and the crank seal. I am just nervous about pulling the pump on and off multiple times and messing up the crank side seal and the large o-ring. I know it's a shot gun approach but a pump from Northwood is 39.95 including the pickup hose which seems reasonable to me. If I get time to play with it tomorrow I'll post up if I find anything.

Got a few minutes yesterday and put it back together to diagnose the oiler problem with the cover off. I cranked the saw to make sure the seals would hold long enough to run for 2-3 minutes and I noticed that the oil tank vent just sits and pukes oil. I did not fill the oil tank up nor was the oiler running. My question is isn't there supposed to be some sort of check valve on the oil tank vent?

If so is there any hope of replacing it with out splitting the case?

Got a few minutes yesterday and put it back together to diagnose the oiler problem with the cover off. I cranked the saw to make sure the seals would hold long enough to run for 2-3 minutes and I noticed that the oil tank vent just sits and pukes oil. I did not fill the oil tank up nor was the oiler running. My question is isn't there supposed to be some sort of check valve on the oil tank vent?

If so is there any hope of replacing it with out splitting the case?

There is no check valve, it uses a long tube that goes to the opposite side of the reservoir. The tube could be missing. Take a peek inside the reservoir through the filler hole with a flashlight, it is a white tube so it should be easy to see.

Its easy to replace, it just slides out between the bar studs.

Well the white tube is intact. I don't know why it was burping Thursday the way it was.... I'll play with it a little more today if I can find a few more minutes. We are doing Turkey day round two with even more family which really cuts into saw time!

Looks like your gonna have to split the case. The crankcase gasket is leaking in the tank area.

Ahh.. that would make sense as I put maybe 4oz in the tank to test it the other day. Fired it up and it was pumping oil out of the vent in 15-20 seconds. I didn't know if just the heat of warming it would do that or not. Time to build some block off plates just for my own knowledge. I know it has a leak somewhere, hence why it wouldn't run right.

Last edited:
New gasket and crank seals while you have it down and you'll have a good saw. Check your bearings while your at it.
I have a 670 champ I really like with a 20".I think it's prettty close to the same saw.

If it gets split, it will get all new seals as a minimum. Bearings feel real good so we'll see about those.

I know most use an old bicycle inner tube for sealing for pressure/vac testing but at the current, I don't have any sitting around. Any other ideas for something affordable to seal the intake and exhaust with? Will cork gasket material work if I build some steel plates?

New gasket and crank seals while you have it down and you'll have a good saw. Check your bearings while your at it.
I have a 670 champ I really like with a 20".I think it's pretty close to the same saw.

Sort of, the 670 champ is a little hotter than a 268xp, and much more so than an open port 268....

Sort of, the 670 champ is a little hotter than a 268xp, and much more so than an open port 268....

Not going to worry about the amount of umph this one has. I am thinking it will wear a 20" B&C and that will be that. It will be part of a three saw plan: 026, 268, 365Special ->Ported 372

Hopefully I'll get some time today to build block off plates... any suggestions for sealing material if inner tube isn't available? Cork gasket?

Not going to worry about the amount of umph this one has. I am thinking it will wear a 20" B&C and that will be that. It will be part of a three saw plan: 026, 268, 365Special ->Ported 372

Hopefully I'll get some time today to build block off plates... any suggestions for sealing material if inner tube isn't available? Cork gasket?

Right, the differences doesn't make the open port 268 a bad saw in any way - my point was just that it isn't a 268xp or 670 champ.

A more "productive" way to look at it, is that it relates to the 272xp like the 365 relates to the 372xp. An upgrading is basically just about changing the top end! :msp_wink:

It's definately a little hotter. It and my 288xp are the only 2 saws I have, that I have left alone.Not even a muffler mod.

Good luck with your 268, keep us up to date on what you find.

Latest posts

Back