272xp help finding clutch bearings etc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IntegrityCarpentry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am so thankful for this forum and so much wisdom and encouragement shared here.

I have a well used 272xp, actually 268 that was converted and my dad bought it for me well used after the conversion. It was my first saw after using father in laws poulon wild thing for a few years. The 272 has been a source of constant lessons. It’s been out of commission more than it’s worked. Had I known enough when I got it 5 years ago every wear part except piston and cylinder should have been replaced. So it’s gradually been fixed then sat.

I just need now to get a new clutch bearing and drum, and the white plastic seal. The bearings are loose. I don’t know if it’s from use or ill fitting Chinese ones as the top end is unmarked. I read reviews of fit being loose on the Amazon kits and the eBay ones look just the same just 50 different manufacturer names lol. My clutch drum might be fine but would want to get a new one to help increase chance of better fit. Do some of you have recommendations for sources? I at the very least need the clutch drum, clutch needle bearings, and the white/clearish cover. The bottom of my clutch cover is broken, but I have used it with part missing for 5 years…

I appreciate all the help, wether it’s something else you posted or commented or helping now. I have been reading posts from AS for years.

Pics

Attachments

• E2908C77-31E3-4607-A14F-2282C734C011.png
    E2908C77-31E3-4607-A14F-2282C734C011.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 5149B49A-6942-4791-A8B5-6D24D6F368D8.png
    5149B49A-6942-4791-A8B5-6D24D6F368D8.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 9FB88FA2-0A1D-4C93-B48C-D6880584CA76.png
    9FB88FA2-0A1D-4C93-B48C-D6880584CA76.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 06D9C8EF-80CB-4BED-BEE5-30AB0682F201.jpeg
    06D9C8EF-80CB-4BED-BEE5-30AB0682F201.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
Download the Oregon sproket reference pdf (its free) & it will show you all you need.
I actually prefer their clutch drums/rims & bearings to OEM in the case of the 272.
Just as good as OEM & a little cheaper to boot.
LOVE my 272, prolly my favorite saw.

You'll find yourself referencing the Oregon pdf in the future also if your interested in chainsaws.

Thank you so much. Now I can find something better quality. Clearly better quality than Chinese ones that come up just looking for 272 parts. Now just looking for a seller to buy oregon 26831 system from. This is a super option, especially for future saw parts. This is much appreciated!

Download the Oregon sproket reference pdf (its free) & it will show you all you need.
I actually prefer their clutch drums/rims & bearings to OEM in the case of the 272.
Just as good as OEM & a little cheaper to boot.
LOVE my 272, prolly my favorite saw.

You'll find yourself referencing the Oregon pdf in the future also if your interested in chainsaws.
Much appreciated! What bars do you run? I have 20 & 24.

So many parts now on ebay and Amazon and price is always very tempting. I have tried some and some.are ok while some are not, you will notice by the adds it's often the same person with multiple accounts selling the same product. You will soon find out that saving and buying a no brand name is a gamble at best. If you want quality and reliability use OEM or a brand like Oregon. Trust me what you save short term will cost you down the line. But remember counterfeit is everywhere so remember the old saying...... if it's too good to be true...it probably isnt.

In the case of a 372 I tried a couple of their cheap drums and you would think they could make an exact copy but nope, had the boring tool set for S- sloppy and turned out millions , the worn out one I took off was a better fit... went oregon, -not sure if they make anything right that comes out of China, ginen a setup for a larger Stihl and the fit was good but the drum was out of round... garbage wormanship, but you sell a billion inferior products and the money rolls in regardless.

Latest posts

Back