272xp help for a newb.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byrdmando

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently purchased a lightly used 272xp off Craigslist for $100. When I went to pick it up I tried to start it and it burped and that was all I needed to see so I gave him my money and I took the saw home.

Got home and put in fresh mix. New plug properly gapped. Pulled muffler and it is clear as can be. Checked piston and it looks spotless. I was having some oiling problems but I am going to attribute that to the filthy dirty bar which I have sense cleaned and am now getting some oil to the bar.

Still, the saw does not want to start very easy. I can get it started but it takes some work but once started tends to idle fairly well (at least it doesnt cut off).

Now for my couple of questions:

There is a little round "weep hole" looking thing under where the oil comes out of the case for the bar. It appears to be weeping. It is not a screw like I have read on other threads so I am not sure what if anything needs to be done here.

Secondly, I went to cut the other day and the saw just wouldnt do much. I attribute most of that to a bad chain which came with the saw and a jacked up bar also provided with the saw but it still would only seem to give about 70% power in the cut. Like the saw just wont hit that "power band" gear. I am beginning to think I could use a carb adjustment (tilleson). I have zero experience tuning carbs. Is there a standard setting that I can put the carb at to start? I do not own a tackometer and wont be able to get one immediately.

What should I be looking for? thanks for all the help guys.

Byrdmando
Coleman Falls, Va.

Back