288xp exhaust gasket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnmc98

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just bought a recently rebuilt 288xp and had the muffler off of it the other day. there was a heat shield between the cylinder and the muffler but no gaskets. Is this normal and ok?
Brian

What year is your 288? Some call for one and others dont.
Don't know for sure, I've heard the serial # is a clue. Starts with 300 but I don't remember the rest and my saw is a work.

At any rate, If one year calls for and an others don't, I assume it is the same cylinder correct?

As far as I can tell yes they are the same cylinder.

As for the year it is on the serial number tag. Write it down and post it tomorrow and we can help out there too.
They made that saw from the late 80's the the early 2000's.

As far as I can tell yes they are the same cylinder.

I will get the serial today. Youd think that if it was the same cylinder, it would not make a difference if it had one or not.

I may have to use it as is today as is, maybe having the heat shield sandwiched between the two is enough I hope.

Both of my 394s have just the heat shield sandwiched between the cylinder and the muffler. If your really worried about it buy some rtv gasket maker for exhuasts.

Probably not going to worry that much about it at this point because it was rebuilt by a husky tech so I was told. Just thought I would check.

My serial # is 3050043

With that being a black tag the first number is the year so its a 1993. The next two numbers '05' tells you the week of that year. So it was made in the 5th week of 1993.

I just looked up that year of 288 and its looks like it is assembled correct. No exhaust gasket, just the heat deflector needs to be in place.

Back