288xp oil leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is there anyway to fix where the chain has wore throu the oil port? the oil hose looked good but you can see that maybe the cast is wore and is leaking here to?

I would use JB Weld and ensure that the proper stainless steel plate was installed. Other choices are have it welded up or replace that crankcase half with a good one.

forget welding, just does not work on the metal that these cases are made of, unless somebody knows a secret I don't!

no it is where the chain had ridding and cut a grove in it!

I've got a 288xp and I'm interested. How did the chain manage do this? Is this what happens with a rim sprocket and the chain gets too loose and jumps off? With long bars I've noticed it's easier for chains to get loose without my noticing it. On my husky L series saws, the thin stainless steel plates on either side of the sprockets are shaped in such a way to make it much harder for a chain to jump completely off. But on the 288 it seems it can jump off and still keep moving while its sandwiched between the body of the saw and the side of the rim sprocket - all the while grinding metal off your saw.

Lots o guys can weld Mg. Im just not one of em. Thatsaid there are a lot of 288 cases floating around. Sign urself up for a new oiler too.

I just picked up a good 288xp bottom end on ebay for $150. It has everything except the piston, cylinder, muffler, and carburetor assembly. With some shopping around on the bay, I've got all the rest of the parts I need now and sometime this year will have a second 288xp at a cost of around $330 - I hope. I'm going to do a muffler mod and use it as a milling saw.

You could get that fixed if you can find somebody that can tig magnesium. I've heard it can be risky to do that, magnesium can catch on fire, and once it does, it's a spectacular brilliant fire and pretty much impossible to put out.

Back