290 wont start. please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FXDL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey i just picked a 290 today that appears to be almost new. guy said he just doesn't have a need for it. i put fresh mix in it and no start. checked the plug and checked for spark. all good. took off the and the diaphragm looked kinda crappy. so i rebuilt the carb ( i've done a few ) still nothing. the plug is dry. so it appears that gas isnt getting to carb. it will run a few seconds with a shot of brake clean in the carb. is there any common problems i should look at? tomorrow i need to look at the fuel line make sure its not torn or pinched
thanks

Hey i just picked a 290 today that appears to be almost new. guy said he just doesn't have a need for it. i put fresh mix in it and no start. checked the plug and checked for spark. all good. took off the and the diaphragm looked kinda crappy. so i rebuilt the carb ( i've done a few ) still nothing. the plug is dry. so it appears that gas isnt getting to carb. it will run a few seconds with a shot of brake clean in the carb. is there any common problems i should look at? tomorrow i need to look at the fuel line make sure its not torn or pinched
thanks

i think your plan for tomorrow is the right one. If it sputters when fed in the carb, the problem is getting fuel to the carb.

Chances are, with a homeowner saw, this guy bought it, used it a couple of times & then stored it with gas in it for god knows how long. Could have eaten away at the fuel line (i got one last year that was like silly putty - you could literally pull it like 14 inches!) and/or killed the filter. $10 for a new line & filter & see how she does.

sounds good. i know its gotta be simple. the saw is like new with damn good compression.

Back