3/8 063 for gb 60" guide bar with larger cutter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massey

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello there , bought a 60" gb bar and a roll of 063 gauge standard 3/8 oregon powercut but the chain is too thin for the guide bar ... I can't find any "special" larger cuter 3/8 .
Thinking of buying 404 sprocket and nose guide, saw running this bar is 3120 xp maybe it should be semi or full skip in 404 for that lenght ? I was thinking running 3/8 full skip with dolmar 9010 , husqvarna 2100 395 ... not only with the 3120 .
Thank you by advance for lights

Hello there , bought a 60" gb bar and a roll of 063 gauge standard 3/8 oregon powercut but the chain is too thin for the guide bar ... I can't find any "special" larger cuter 3/8 .
I don't understand what you mean by "thin."

How about posting pics of the numbers stamped on the bar and the label on the roll of chain?

Roy

Thanks for replies , problem is solved I switched sprocket nose to 404 and now kerf is good . Gb titanium extra long bar are larger than standard. I will post photo of the 3/8 chain on it .

New 3/8 chain on it was too thin .

Attachments

• 20221027_201332.jpg
    20221027_201332.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221027_201153.jpg
    20221027_201153.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
The drive link thickness is what you need to measure and the width of the groove in the bar. They should be the same within a few thousandths on an inch.
Naturally the groove in the bar is a little wider, say .002. Your dial calipers are measuring mm. in the picture.

Near the beginning of the bar, will be stamped in the number of drive links, DL, the pitch of the chain, 3/8, and the thickness of the drive link, called the guage.

Attachments

• Stihl 25 in bar Info.jpg
    Stihl 25 in bar Info.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 0
The drive link thickness is what you need to measure and the width of the groove in the bar. They should be the same within a few thousandths on an inch.
Naturally the groove in the bar is a little wider, say .002. Your dial calipers are measuring mm. in the picture.

Near the beginning of the bar, will be stamped in the number of drive links, DL, the pitch of the chain, 3/8, and the thickness of the drive link, called the guage.
Tanks for reply, I know what is the gauge , I switched the sprocket nose for a 404 and now it's good, bar won't pinch during cut . I dont understand why this serie of bar is sell in 3/8 kerf doesn't allow it .

Usually these longer bars are used for milling. When making a ripping cut you don't need quite as much kerf to keep the bar from pinching so 3/8 may work on that bar (for the most part) in that situation

Latest posts

Back