3/8 chain on big mount Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kielbasa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone makes a 3/8 sprocket nose bar that mounts on 3002 mount Stihl?
Would like to convert my 075 to 3/8 from 404, but looking around it appears all big mount bars are 404......

Consider solid nose bar, or mod 3/8 bar to fit your mounts, or mod your mounts to fit 3/8 bar

I'm interested to know why you would want to go down to 3/8 with a 075.
Different timber I know, but over here pretty well everyone with a 90 + cc saw uses 404. It is so much more resilient, especially in firewood. Maybe cleaner, softer wood in your area?

I just went though this on the 051 I just rebuilt, I picked up a archer laminate roller tip 25" bar in 3/8 .063. Be aware the 8 pin sprocket on these older saws requires a extra driver in the chain vs the 7 pin the medium sized clutch drums/rims run. Around here 3/8 is sold everywhere, 404 is rare requiring ordering. It is for a friend so it got 3/8 but will have a 404 sprocket included or a 8 dollar rim can be purchased for its likely very rare use.

I just made a small mount fit a big mount on a 084. Carbide burr made it fit

I'm interested to know why you would want to go down to 3/8 with a 075.
Different timber I know, but over here pretty well everyone with a 90 + cc saw uses 404. It is so much more resilient, especially in firewood. Maybe cleaner, softer wood in your area?
excellent point - my ASSUMPTION is that the 3/8 will be easier to pull thru the log vs the 404, given that the 075 is not really a powerhouse saw, along with 3/8 being so much easier for me to get locally....
I happened to measure the kerf on some 404 vs 3/8 i have, amazingly they measure the same!
And the other reason is that I need a new bar (36"), and the spur needs replacement anyways, so figured now would be the time to convert - but now I'm not so sure?????

Latest posts

Back