3120 Gone BAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try to do that this week.

That thing doesn't sound ported or piped, but it sure sounds like it winds out real nice... It's funny how videos don't describe the sound properly sometimes. I know my 3120 sounds meaner, but I'd put money on the one you just built whooping it when cutting.

I'd sure like to see the saw buried with a 42" bar in something or other.

I got to see and hear it, it thumps like a monster. Funny, on modern saws, I lean towards Stihl and Dolmar but saws like the 346, 262 and the 3120 have me grinning like a kid in a candy store. I was fortunate enough to run a 3120 with a 5' bar in some big wood and was pleased as punch. Wish I had a chance to run one (not just hear it idle and the throttle blipped) Brad got his mitts on.

Disclaimer: I did not do the port work on this saw!!!

A quick history here. This 3120 was bought brand new back in '04 by another forum member. It was ported, muffler modded, and the timing advanced. Shortly there after the offset keyway sheared. It hasn't run right since that time and has just sat all these years. I have it to sort it out and get it running good. I pulled a compression check and only got 110-115 PSI. However, the rings still look like brand new, with the little machine lines still in them. This saw never even got broken in.

None of the ports were widened. However, the exhaust was raised A LOT. The transfers were also raised considerably, and the intake lowered. I will be putting a degree wheel on it to see where it sets.

What happened to this saw? Notice all the odd markings in the cylinder and piston. Did this saw get real hot at one time, but not enough to seize? You can see the shape of the exhaust port roof on the piston skirt where the piston is at TDC. Was the port not deburred and beveled after porting, and marked the piston? There's one line to the right of the exhaust port on the cylinder wall that I can feel. Why is the compression so low? Exhaust too high?

675238954_eSiLF-M.jpg

675240670_xTmQy-M.jpg

675239145_oeBJ6-M.jpg

It was only raised at the cylinder wall, and not tapered out to the flange.
675239269_dYV5u-M.jpg

Not widened at the cylinder wall at all. You see some finish sanding marks towards the flange. It was not widened.
675239382_CjCrC-M.jpg

675239479_ZX5on-M.jpg

Markings above the intake.
675239042_9mRHw-M.jpg

Brad, thats what my super 797 looked like inside, she rang bout 140 lbs...

NEW..

STOLEN...

####,

My drunk ass studied thoes pics for a while..

I dont know why the transfers where ####ed with in such a manner.

Confucious says " volume my son, VOLUME. . .

The transfers were the ugliest. There were a couple knicks I didn't quite remove. I didn't want to raise them any more. I did widen them towards the intake.

675446308_QpUkU-M.jpg

675446369_8wgKj-M.jpg

675446434_anyF4-M.jpg

Nice work Brad cleaning that mess up. :clap:

Like I said at the GTG you're getting better at this. ;) BTW I was right that 044 did out run the ole 460. :D :cheers:

Very nice work in the transfers, did you get a 90° hand piece??

Very nice work in the transfers, did you get a 90° hand piece??

Thanks Erick. Nope, no right angle grinder yet. You wouldn't believe me if I told you I do that with a cutoff wheel:dizzy: Ask Nik and Andy. They watched me do that 260 prototype Saturday night.

BTW I was right that 044 did out run the ole 460. :D :cheers:

That put the final nail in the coffin of the 460 as my favorite work saw. It is now doomed to have the exhaust raised way up and a pipe built for it:clap: The 440 is getting a 28" Oregon Reduced Weight bar and a 3/4 wrap handle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back