3120xp - 50in bar - skip chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Ok so a friend I cut with is looking into 3120's so I have to ask the questions just so I know...

1.) max bar length? husky site says 42inch???

2.) oiler: does it support 50 inches of bar?

3.) Porting??? Has anyone done a 3120xp yet? if so are there before and after videos to show results?

4.) Compare 3120xp to other 110+cc saws... I've run 394/395's, my 9010 and 076... How does the 3120xp rank in muscle saw class?

5.) We cut alot of very large wood 1/2 or more is probably oak 40in+. 404 skip or full comp? Does someone make a semi-skip 404?

I'm going to look through some 3120 threads but figured someone probably knows these answers off the top of their head.

Ok so a friend I cut with is looking into 3120's so I have to ask the questions just so I know...

1.) max bar length? husky site says 42inch???

2.) oiler: does it support 50 inches of bar?

3.) Porting??? Has anyone done a 3120xp yet? if so are there before and after videos to show results?

4.) Compare 3120xp to other 110+cc saws... I've run 394/395's, my 9010 and 076... How does the 3120xp rank in muscle saw class?

5.) We cut alot of very large wood 1/2 or more is probably oak 40in+. 404 skip or full comp? Does someone make a semi-skip 404?

I'm going to look through some 3120 threads but figured someone probably knows these answers off the top of their head.

Brad has a video of a 3120 he did. Mastermind has done several. He has a thread on here. They will pull alot more than a 42. They wont have the speed of the smaller saws- but in that kinda wood it's more about "nuts" and torque anyways. When the others start to loose rpm- it will keep on luggin. I believe there are pics in some of the threads on the 3120 with one and a 72'' bar. In modern saws the 3120 is in "top form". Randy posted a pic of a 3120 sitting next to a 880 and the size difference was very noticable. Having watched the build threads and considering what others have posted- I would prob lean towards the 3120 between the two.

Last edited:
I had one for a little while and it was stock and would pull a 36" bar and semi skip chain with an 8 pin effortless. It would cut faster than my buildoff 066. This was an older one with the 12k rpm coil. If you turn on the extra oil over ride it will gush oil off a 36" so I would think 50" wouldn't be a problem.

ok so 1-4 have been answer. how about #5???

Anyone make semi-skip 404? should we be running full comp, skip, or semi-skip on a 3120xp in hard wood?

On a bar that big, run full skip, its about chip clearance.. period. I run full skip on anything bigger that 36". The chips pile up and you need to clear them by lifting the bar on these big saws running full comp, full skip this doesn't happen as often and I've been cutting up to 69" stuff lately.

Less lifting up to clear chips, full skip! Less cutters to sharpen, full skip!

A business down the street from me just had a 14 foot bar made for a 3120 to buck old growth redwood stumps. Can't wait to post pics. They said it took a few minutes for the chain and bar to break in then it cut good.

Full skip, 48in bar.

I run full skip on a 48" bar, with my 3120xp, in all kinds of wood. Black oak, white oak, red oak, madrone, fir, and pine. I have had no oiling problems, and the 3120 pulls fine in all, running an 8 tooth sprocket. It is a beast. I do have a carburetor mod., by Simon Bertrand, so I can adjust high side mixture. I have considered a coil change for higher rpms, but this saw just eats big wood, and has tremendous bottom end, mid-range torque, and power. It is actually the smoothest running saw I own. It is heavy, but it is a great big wood saw.

Full skip for sure! My 084 originally had full comp for the 60" bar, it was almost unuseable.

Ed

I run 3/8's half skip on a 42" bar with a ported 394. No problem pulling it but it's pushing it for chip clearance, any larger and it would have to be full skip.

If it's like the 880's, get it ported and run 8 pin .404 for durability or a 9 pin 3/8 for speed.

If it's like the 880's, get it ported and run 8 pin .404 for durability or a 9 pin 3/8 for speed.

Not a speed thing, its chip clearance. It will clog up rapidly using full comp, to may chips to clear, less cutters means less chips and it does help keep the speed up because of that reason. Dragging the chips out is really the issue, cutters can't reach the wood, chips are in the way.

As the others have said I would go skip chain for anything over 30" just for the sake of chip clearance. Otherwise you waste power and fuel while trying to pull chips out of the kerf. I have full comp for my 36" bar and it pulls fine but doesn't cut any faster and it's quite plain to see why--there are plenty of chips in the kerf.

The "mods" i would look into doing to start is just putting a regular carb on it and perhaps an unlimited coil.

I would not look to get "speed" out of a 3120. They will always come through with torque--that's clearly what they are designed for (even in the non-epa markets).

In addition, run rich oil. I cant find it at this moment but one of the operators manuals for europe or some other country clearly stated that, even where the oils were of quality that 50:1 could normally be run with them, an operator should run 32:1 in a saw as large as a 3120.

When I mill especially, I usually run 1.8 gallons to a 2.5 gal mix bottle of synthetic or semi-synthetic blend.

I think australia recommends 25:1 or something like that for the 3120.

skip.
attachment.php

As the others have said I would go skip chain for anything over 30" just for the sake of chip clearance. Otherwise you waste power and fuel while trying to pull chips out of the kerf. I have full comp for my 36" bar and it pulls fine but doesn't cut any faster and it's quite plain to see why--there are plenty of chips in the kerf.

The "mods" i would look into doing to start is just putting a regular carb on it and perhaps an unlimited coil.

I would not look to get "speed" out of a 3120. They will always come through with torque--that's clearly what they are designed for (even in the non-epa markets).

In addition, run rich oil. I cant find it at this moment but one of the operators manuals for europe or some other country clearly stated that, even where the oils were of quality that 50:1 could normally be run with them, an operator should run 32:1 in a saw as large as a 3120.

When I mill especially, I usually run 1.8 gallons to a 2.5 gal mix bottle of synthetic or semi-synthetic blend.

If you have a saw with a fixed high jet, it would not be wise to run more oil in the mix than what the jet is sized for... If it's meant for 50:1, running 25:1 will make it run lean...
Not a good scenario... On an adjustable carb, no sweat, but if not, beware...:msp_mellow:

The low jet on those feeds into the H. You can actually drop the rpms on the saw with the low.

The low jet on those feeds into the H. You can actually drop the rpms on the saw with the low.

Well they are always coupled to some degree, just because your WOT doesn't mean the low Side stops flowing fuel.

True, you can effect the saws overall setting with the low, but I think by only 10-15% of total volume?
Someone will probably correct me on that...

Latest posts

Back