3120xp hits the wall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got a 3120xp on the local ebay, brought it to repower my stumpgrinder. Came with a new 28 GB titanium and chain and was on big trees today so couldnt resist letting it loose. Finally had a chance to run it in some decent wood. Starts fine, seems to run and boy does it cut, then at full power about 5-8 seconds into the cut it stops instantly. No coughing or any other sign. Just stops dead. Starts (but doesnt idle, didnt know it had no H screw before reading up on my search so can now up the idle), runs cuts and then abrutly in full noise stops. I have a touch of broncitis so wasnt up to starting it to many times.

Without any spluttering or warning I would think it could be electrical, anyone had simular problems with the 3120xp? I dont know how old it is and have gone through the 13 pages you find if you search 3120xp on this site, learned a bit but havent found anything on this kind of problem. Serial on it is 6190089

Last edited:
I don't know squat about the 3120. However, I have a Dolmar 115i that behaved similarly. Run, stop, run, stop....
It was the coil. I'm sure it could probably be a host of other things but, I'm sure somebody better suited to diagnose the 3120 will chime in.

1996, week 19 - should be a good one without excessive rev limiting (or any at all?). :)

Thanks for the age info. Now I will know when to get it a birthday present!

So could mean a new coil? Question being where I would get one (bearing in mind a piston and barrel for a ms200 is about 385 us bucks here.) anyone sell em online?

Last edited:
Someone told me the other day that Husky have a lifetime warranty on their coils. I don't know if that's for the original owner only or if it's even true, but worth asking a dealer IMO.
I'm not an expert, so take my advice at that.
I would think if it's the coil and it dies like you mention. Next time it does it check the plug. It should be wet.
It does sound like a coil to me.
I had a mower that did that once it got warm up it die. The coil had a small crack on it that caused it to fail once hot.

I just got a new to me 3120xp too. But mine has the limiting coil.

Thanks for the age info. Now I will know when to get it a birthday present!

So could mean a new coil? Question being where I would get one (bearing in mind a piston and barrel for a ms200 is about 385 us bucks here.) anyone sell em online?

If it is the coil, make sure you get the right one, and not one of the later rev limiter onees.....

Someone told me the other day that Husky have a lifetime warranty on their coils. I don't know if that's for the original owner only or if it's even true, but worth asking a dealer IMO.
I'm not an expert, so take my advice at that.
I would think if it's the coil and it dies like you mention. Next time it does it check the plug. It should be wet.
It does sound like a coil to me.
I had a mower that did that once it got warm up it die. The coil had a small crack on it that caused it to fail once hot.

I just got a new to me 3120xp too. But mine has the limiting coil.

Good advice on checking the plug, will do!

Probably coil & you've no doubt already checked the following but,

Check the switch make sure it's clean and working properly not vibrating to a partial open condition. Connections good.

Follow the wires from the coil make sure the insulation is intact, not grounding out and there are no loose connections. Ditto with the plug wire.

Good Luck

Take Care

Oh she still curses me. Stripped the carb, was so clean and it looks like it had a recent rebuild.

If I give the saw less revs it runs for longer before cutting out. Im trying to isolate whether its spark related or fuel related. Problem being it gets so hot that by the time I pull the plug after running it WFO to get it to die the plugs dry.

Does sound like starvation possibly. Fuel filter is mint. How do you get at the fuel line to check for kinks, does it plug into the tank on a nipple or go straight intot he tank?

Does sound like starvation possibly. Fuel filter is mint. How do you get at the fuel line to check for kinks, does it plug into the tank on a nipple or go straight intot he tank?

Hi,

if the saw runs for longer with lower revs could it be a fuel issue such as a blocked or nearly blocked breather? Just guessing, but it seems a possibility to me as I've known the same thing happen to motorcycles when the breather is blocked - runs for a while until the vacuum builds up in the tank which then starves the carbs.

Bye

Last edited:
I'd check the tank vent first. if it seems to be starving out faster with higher rpms, that could be a hint. You could disconnect the fuel hose at the carb and suck fuel out to see if there's no blockage or vacuum building.

if fuel is ruled out, then only it can be the ignition. Check for cracks, plug contact, etc. then last would be to replace the coil.

too bad Lakeside doesn't do huskies...:greenchainsaw:

I thinks tha belgain is onto sumptin here,,, One of my older 066's did that before and it ended up being the crank bearings had so much wear it wiped out the PTO side seal ,,,,,, at lower RPM it was ok??? but when felling or dogging in hard it would die !!! Hope it is only a tank vent, fuel filter/line or spark plug issue for ya!!!:clap:

Good post Roland!!!!!!!

Im sorry I'm a bit like Lakeside in the Huskie camp,,,, I anit to shiney on Huskies,,, But I did pick up a 394XP to tinker with!!!:clap:

Last edited:
From your description of symptoms, I'm inclined it think it an ignition problem. If it were a fuel starvation problem, it would act like it was running out of fuel rather than just shutting down at full song.

Fuel vent blockage is easily proven by opening the fuel cap after the saw has stopped. If it fires back up, its a blocked fuel vent.

As for ignition, it could be the switch wire grounding out. Prove or disprove by disconnecting the wire from the back of the switch. Look closely at the wire and see if it is obviously worn. It is routed along with the plug wire through the shield between the recoil cover and flywheel.

If its not the switch, wire, or fuel vent, its most likely the coil giving up as it gets hot. I think there was a thread here in the past couple of weeks where someone removed the later rev limited coil and replaced it with a 272xp coil.

I believe all 3120s were rev limited, while the very first ones did have an adjustable carb.

I'm no help in regards to trouble shooting, but it does sound like maybe a coil. If I recall corrrectly, Husky has a lifetime warranty on coils after around 1989, although I don't know if to original owner only.

I think the coil (black) coil part # is 503 13 85-01

You don't have the same flywheel as wet1 who swapped in a 272 coil and said the timing was okay, so if he's right that coil won't work for your saw without retiming the flywheel.

Last edited:
Track down KIWISTEVE. He's in your neck of the woods and might have a 3120 ignition you can swap out for a test..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back