3214 got worked today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarley

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We got some trees to plant in the backyard, after cutting down a persimmon tree and a quince tree. The persimmon tree is worse than having a dog back there, and the quince tree was 1/3 dead/ diseased, 1/3 fungus eating it, and 1/3 alive.

Picked up an Evergreen Ash and a couple of English Laurels. Where my wife wanted them though... of course there were thick roots in the way. Easiest saw to use was my late Grandfather's Mac 3214. I know dirt is the worst thing for a bar/chain, but I was doing my best to make my wife happy. The little saw "needs" a new bar and chain anyway, and you'll see why.

IMG_0368.sized.jpg

IMG_0369.sized.jpg

The safety bumper chain isn't my favorite at all. The short narrow tip bar was actually nice for getting in the holes and cutting the very thick roots. The poor little thing started running bad after a while and required re-tuning again. I may end up going through the carb and see about going through the engine one of these days.

I was honestly shocked it fired & ran without adjustment! Makes me wonder if these things were that finicky when new too. Although this did get worked with my late Grandfather... I recall seeing the bottom of an old bar peened over pretty severely. Probably had a hard life.

Clay

That's a good use for those bumper DL chains! I have a bunch of those from a couple of saws that were given to me. I save them for stumping and cutting skidded logs that are full of dirt.

All I took away from the OP was "wow, someone else knows what a quince tree is?"...but then it occurred to me..."ARBORISTsite" lol.

No one around here has ever properly identified the old quince on my grandparents' farm. It's been there since way before they ever were(~80 years), and someone WAY back had grafted a couple of apple branches to it.

They still have an old persimmon tree as well, well away from the house, for the reason you mentioned. Also an old plum tree and a cherry tree, several apple trees and peach and pear. All were there prior to them. Someone knew what they were doing on that old homestead.

Last chain I ran Had bumpers, grinder took care of those. Still have an old chain I bought for my Poulan 2800, new in the box I picked up back in the 80's from Sears. May run it one day.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Back