.325 or 3/8 bar chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay, help me out here. What is the difference and is one better then the other?

As always, depends what you are doing and what type/size saw you have.

So, tell us more and before you know it you'll be an expert with the help you'll get here.

I will take a stab at it but there are others here with lots more experience than me. .325 and 3/8 (.375 is same) refers to the distance between centers on the links. Given that the kerf (cutting width) is the same a .325 chain puts a few more cutters along the same length of bar and will be some faster IF you have the motor to pull them. Husky uses a narrow kerf Oregon 95VP .325 chain to put some serious cutting speed into some of their mid sized saws. Stihl has stayed with 3/8 and the narrow kerf is optional extra cost equipment. I believe that 3/8 chain will take more HP input since .325 is is not seen on the larger saws that I am aware of. In some instances one or the other may be notably faster on a given saw because of the diameter and tooth count differances on the rim or spur, say a 8 tooth .325 vs 7 tooth .375. but again, It wont be faster in a deep cut with an 8 tooth .325 if your motor was maxed out with a 7 tooth .375. At least this is my experience, very limited and jonny come lately.

Husky saw 350 or 353, cutting trees, and firewood. that will be the application.

When we're dealing with chain from stihl, theres a few sizes, 1/4, .325, 3/8, .404, and 1/2. As said in the first reply this refers to the distance from the centre of one rivet to the next on one link of chain. So if its 1/4 chain, thats a quarter inch from rivet to rivet. .325 means there is .325 of an inch and so on. So the longer the links the meatier the tooth will be for heavier cuttin, thats why little saw like MS190, MS260....etc have .325, and larger like MS361, 460 etc have bigger, bigger saw=bigger chain=faster cuts with biger chips.

I notice that semi skip and full skip are normally on larger bar chainsaws. Would it make a 3/8 run faster on a small Stihl, 026 or 036 if you ran 3/8 semi skip chain?

Pitch Determination

To determine pitch of a chain:

1. Measure the distance between any "three" consecutive rivets
2. Then divide by (2)
3.This measurement gives you the pitch of the chain: 1/4, .325, 3/8, 7/16,
.404 & 1/2

You do not measure from one rivet to the next. It is measured in 3's.

One is not really better than the other...you have different pitch chains for different applications. You can mix them up but you're hard pressed to do better than the factory engineers. :rolleyes:

There is just about no difference in the Stihl teeth petrusion between the .325 RS and .375 = 3/8 RS

Yes the pitch is different but the cutting tooth is just about the same size. IMHO on anything below a 044/MS440 you may as well stick with the .325 it probably gives you a tiny advantage.

Stihl Racer said:
When we're dealing with chain from stihl, theres a few sizes, 1/4, .325, 3/8, .404, and 1/2. As said in the first reply this refers to the distance from the centre of one rivet to the next on one link of chain. So if its 1/4 chain, thats a quarter inch from rivet to rivet. .325 means there is .325 of an inch and so on. So the longer the links the meatier the tooth will be for heavier cuttin, thats why little saw like MS190, MS260....etc have .325, and larger like MS361, 460 etc have bigger, bigger saw=bigger chain=faster cuts with biger chips.

I was not so concerned with the cutting teeth as I was with misinformation.
The above is not how you measure pitch. I did not want someone getting wrong information when trying to understand what pitch measurement is.

semi said:
Husky saw 350 or 353, cutting trees, and firewood. that will be the application.
I don't think it would make much sense to try 3/8" on those saws.
Some time ago a former member posted test results with Stihl RS in 3/8"x7 and .325"x8 (giving the chains about the same speed) on a Stihl 036, which is a bigger saw (61.5cc). The .325 chain was faster even on that saw... ;)

I will stick to narrow kerf (95VP) on my 353, but would have liked to try 20LP and 23RS as well. However, neither of these are easily obtainable to me. :angry:

Chain

Well I had a good experience at the Stihl Dealer's today. Told him I wanted a roll of 3/8 .050 chain for my 036 and 044. Didn't look at it; got home and it was Pico Micro low profile chain. Yukko. Now another trip back to exchange it; and, to read the box this time before I leave the store. Old age is terrible.

Back