335xpt question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A customer of mine brought me a 335xpt a few weeks ago claiming it was too hard to start. I put fresh gas in it and it started right up and ran like a scalded dog. With all due respect he is in his mid 60's and has had some health issues and is on chemotherapy. He claims it feels like us has too much compression and when he pulls it he can't pull it hard enough to spin over. I even put a new piston and cylinder on it and there was no change. I am a gold level Stihl technician so I have some idea of what I'm doing. I feel like he has lost a lot of his strength and doesn't want to realize it. I hate to have to tell him this. I thought I'd put this out just in case there could be something I'm missing. If someone else knows a fix for it I am eager to hear about it.

I drop start every saw as I'm a climber. Can't imagine starting a saw between my legs lol. Ask how he's starting it... he might be trying to start it on the ground or something.

He isn't drop starting it, that aids in the problem. I owned a tree and land clearing business for 17 years. I tried to show him how to drop start it but he won't do it.

He isn't drop starting it, that aids in the problem. I owned a tree and land clearing business for 17 years. I tried to show him how to drop start it but he won't do it.
Maybe one of the saws with the Stihl Easy2Start, eg, MS180 A lot less effort then trying to pull over the motor directly. This might be a lot better for him due to his situation.

Dolmar 421. Or any easy start Dolmar.

Sorry, this probably doesn’t help at all.

If you’ve never started one of the easy start Dolmars, you have no idea how easy they really are. Ridiculous, actually.

My 335 is very hard to start if it Hasen't been run for a while,it can take 20 or 30 pulls to get it going, after that it starts just fine and I really like the saw. I am going just pull the air filter and squirt gas down the carb.

My 335 is very hard to start if it Hasen't been run for a while,it can take 20 or 30 pulls to get it going, after that it starts just fine and I really like the saw. I am going just pull the air filter and squirt gas down the carb.
Choke issues, might just be a simple adjustment.

A customer of mine brought me a 335xpt a few weeks ago claiming it was too hard to start. I put fresh gas in it and it started right up and ran like a scalded dog. With all due respect he is in his mid 60's and has had some health issues and is on chemotherapy. He claims it feels like us has too much compression and when he pulls it he can't pull it hard enough to spin over. I even put a new piston and cylinder on it and there was no change. I am a gold level Stihl technician so I have some idea of what I'm doing. I feel like he has lost a lot of his strength and doesn't want to realize it. I hate to have to tell him this. I thought I'd put this out just in case there could be something I'm missing. If someone else knows a fix for it I am eager to hear about it.

I think it is definitely due to his health. I'm getting Arthritis in my hands and it affects my ability to do a lot of things I used to do easily.

Latest posts

Back