346 tank vent leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old CB

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've got a 2005 346xp that leaks fuel thru the tank vent. I've searched threads and not found anything to help me.

I pulled the tank off the saw thinking the fuel line might be the culprit, but it's good. Put fuel in the tank it drips out the tank vent. What's it like to replace one of these? And is there a chance that it's something else causing the vent to leak? I'm looking at this thing and wondering what it is and what could fail on it.

It's just a porous white pill like thing and I believe there is a smaller one underneath. If the cap is tight & the fuel line is good, it should not leak. If you have never replaced the fuel line, it's time. My older 346 needs a fuel line ever 3-4 years.

I've got a 2005 346xp that leaks fuel thru the tank vent. I've searched threads and not found anything to help me.

I pulled the tank off the saw thinking the fuel line might be the culprit, but it's good. Put fuel in the tank it drips out the tank vent. What's it like to replace one of these? And is there a chance that it's something else causing the vent to leak? I'm looking at this thing and wondering what it is and what could fail on it.
You just push out the old one from the inside and push in the new one, if memory serves me well. But I've had them leak from the insert hole that the vent is actually inserted into.

I don't know. All I can see is the spongey-looking face on the outside of the tank. Don't know what's beyond it. Hoping someone can enlighten me.
This is a picture from someone's previous post
4156ce1d200d0fc765eac988c6231a1b.jpg

They sometimes leak a little when fueling, just put the cap on and turn it upright, no more leak, not a problem.

I still think you probably need a new fuel line.

It's not the fuel line. I bought this saw last year as a non-runner, put a new P&C on it, and replaced fuel line, that plastic intake (put the metal clamp thing on), both crank seals, and maybe some other stuff--I don't remember.

So yesterday evening I pulled the tank thinking I'd need to replace the fuel line (because I don't remember what all I did last year) and there was the new fuel line. I clamped off the end of the fuel line with a hemostat, put fuel in the tank, closed the fuel cap (good seal there) -- and watched fuel drip out of the vent like that's its job. No position you lay the saw will it not leak, as I recall.

Looking inside the tank, I can't see any access to the vent. (Brad knows what he's talking about.) Maybe I'd have to drill thru it, and pull it? I'm just wary of messing with something that I don't have experience with. Nothing worse than replacing a part and finding it does what the old one did.

Latest posts

Back