346xp gone after 2012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Am I the only person that knows without a shadow of a doubt that I will own a new 346xpne before they stop making them next year? Spike60 reported this a couple of days ago in his 562xp thread. Why would they stop making a saw that most people would say is one of if not the best of all time? Could it's replacement be that much better or is it they are just trying to regulate emissions? No, I don't need one, but I will have to have one before the end of the line. How many of you are sure you are going to get one before they are gone?

I'm trying to pick one up right now. I've been trying to get a good price on one on the bay but no luck right now. I got an ad out on my local craigslist as well. I'd give up all my saws and go to a 1 saw plan to have one right now. I ran my buddies and I loved it more than any other saw I've ever put my hands on.

Local guy is getting $489 with a 16 inch bar. I have not seen any NE's go for under 350 used on the bay. Probably better off biting the bullet and going new with the warranty. That's what I will wind up doing. Hard to drop 500 on something you really don't need but want soooooo bad. Wife doesn't quite understand that logic and I don't blame her.

Demand for the 346NE is so high I sold one of mine last week and didn't even have to put in a CL ad in. One of my buddies, buds wanted it, and off it went....
And No don't even ask, I'm going to hang onto my other ones...:msp_w00t:

I may get another one and keep it in a box for awhile, but surely the replacement will be better. In the past nobody likes the replacement models, until they ran them. Id guess the replacement will have rev boost, and probably auto tune, but thats all just a guess.

What about Jred line?

Anyone know if there are big changes for the Jonsered line as well. Is the Jonsered 2153 going too?

You can buy em all up, but at the end of the day I still own the fastest one ever modded. Ain't that right Lambert, of course at one time Lambert had the fastest.

Anyone know if there are big changes for the Jonsered line as well. Is the Jonsered 2153 going too?

That's a good question. I would assume they would be changing too but not sure. I don't know if I even have a J-red dealer near me. I always hear the bar handle on the 2153 is not as comfortable as the 346xp. Probably just a preference issue though.

The 346xp has been around since 1998 or 99, so that is a pretty long run for a Husky model. I've had one 10 years now and wouldn't trade it for any saw out there...

I bought an extra 346 last Fall, when I heard the news. I'll get another and just leave it in the box. And I need to find one for my brother, and one for Stumpy. So that's three I need to get. :msp_smile:

PS, nmurph has had some good 346s' for sale here in the classifieds. :pumpkin2:

Am I the only person that knows without a shadow of a doubt that I will own a new 346xpne before they stop making them next year? Spike60 reported this a couple of days ago in his 562xp thread. Why would they stop making a saw that most people would say is one of if not the best of all time? Could it's replacement be that much better or is it they are just trying to regulate emissions? No, I don't need one, but I will have to have one before the end of the line. How many of you are sure you are going to get one before they are gone?

Why dont you belive that the replacement would be a better saw?????

The 560xp is MUCH better than the 357xp it is replacing. It is to be expected that the 550xp will be a lot like the 560xp just smaller and I'm sure it will be just as fantastic. (And yes I have a 560xp so I know what I an talking about) (And yes I have 2 346xpg's and I love them and are looking forward to own an even better saw :rock:)

I don't think it would be a bad move to cautiously buy a 346 in the months leading up to its replacement. It seems that husky has its game down now, has figured out how to make strato saws that are light, slim and lightening fast, and so presumably the 550xp will be a great (and perhaps better saw).

The 346 xp NE is a "just right" saw to me. There really isn't anything I would change on it. There's potential that the 550xp could be more "just right" and there's also potential for it to be a little bit off.

I have the highest hopes, and don't doubt husqvarna one bit, but it's kind of like an musicians best song or best album--at one very moment, they were just right in the zone of where they needed to be, and everything came together perfectly--and the result is perfect like the stars.

The price tag of the 550xp is probably going to be a bit scary too. i think we can think lists of $550+ here in the US in the trends with the 555 and 560/562 price increases are continued.

I think that these prices aren't going to make it impossible for guys to buy saws. I think it will just mean a little bit less hoarding for most of us, slimmer fleets, etc. I'm not saying I'm in favor of price increases, but they shouldn't be the complete end of the world. To rant a bit more, I feel like some of these price increases are justified, in that the saws have more technology in them and components which would certainly cost more to include.

I may get another one and keep it in a box for awhile, but surely the replacement will be better. In the past nobody likes the replacement models, until they ran them. Id guess the replacement will have rev boost, and probably auto tune, but thats all just a guess.

You most likely are right about that, but the 346xp is a legend, and very hard to replace with something better.:msp_biggrin:

They reason they do it is of course emissions, nothing else.

SawTroll;3176099 They reason they do it is of course emissions said:
I also expect better power to weight ratio like we have seen with the 560xp. I know it's a little hard to imagine since the power to weight ratio is great with the 346xp. but the 560xp is leading the way.

My expectations to the 550xp are very high

I also expect better power to weight ratio like we have seen with the 560xp. I know it's a little hard to imagine since the power to weight ratio is great with the 346xp. but the 560xp is leading the way.

My expectations to the 550xp are very high

Aren't the strato saws inherently heavier? I can not think of any models to come out strato that are lighter or handle better than there replacement. If the 550xp could actually be as light or lighter than the 346xp and have as much or more power they will have a winner for sure. I have get a 346 and then a 550 down the road!:hmm3grin2orange:

Aren't the strato saws inherently heavier? I can not think of any models to come out strato that are lighter or handle better than there replacement. If the 550xp could actually be as light or lighter than the 346xp and have as much or more power they will have a winner for sure. I have get a 346 and then a 550 down the road!:hmm3grin2orange:

It looks like Husky has found a way to compensate for the added weight of the "strato" and the autotune......

It looks like Husky has found a way to compensate for the added weight of the "strato" and the autotune......

If this turns out to be the case with their other new saws, do you think they will bring out a new lighter version of the 576? Perhaps a true replacement for the 372, a 572?

Last edited:
You most likely are right about that, but the 346xp is a legend, and very hard to replace with something better.:msp_biggrin:

They reason they do it is of course emissions, nothing else.

Just a wild guess! Could Husqvarna get the idea of a 346 XP "X.totq" (strato)? It would mean keeping the good reputation f legend, AND keep up with emission levels!
Not a coincidence, that the didn´t make a 352XP (or something closet to wht the 346 XP NE really is), instead of a 346XP New Edition.

If I sad at the end of the table in Huskvarna, I would vote for that..

Latest posts

Back